Tatty Selle SMP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Good stuff! I can tell you after yesterday’s Dorset 200, I am butt-pain-free due to my Selle SMP Well Gel. Although to be fair, it was such a lumpy route, I spent a lot of time out the saddle.

How did you get on? Did you spot this bike and it’s matching orange striped rider?

View attachment 462408
Congrats on the ride, I wasn't on that one. My next three are "Many rivers to cross 300k", "Paddington express 400k" and the "Steam express 600k". The forma should arrive tomorrow if I'm back from work when it turns up, if not the next day. This means I have a few days to test it out before my next audax. Although it's a 300k by the time I ride both there and back it will be around 440k. Bit much to test a new saddle but if I'm already in pain I guess I don't have too much to lose.

Edit: Your bike looks very good. When you said the one with orange bar tape I mentally rolled my eyes but with the bottles, carradice and seat clamp it's nicely tied together.

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
The lovely yellow and red test forma turned up and is installed on the bike. Sure is hard. Unfortunately I'm unwell today and not hopeful for tomorrow, we'll see.

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Just been round the block, seems comfortable but obviously need to put some miles on it. I've just rang Dillglove up again and asked them to send me the composit. I'll take both with me on my 440k ride this weekend swapping them out when I see fit. Should give me a good idea of what I want.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just been round the block, seems comfortable but obviously need to put some miles on it. I've just rang Dillglove up again and asked them to send me the composit. I'll take both with me on my 440k ride this weekend swapping them out when I see fit. Should give me a good idea of what I want.

Told you Dilglove were good

And enjoy the saddle

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Composit has turned up. I have done around 1 mile on each (I'm poorly) but my first feeling is that they are both comfortable but the composit felt less imposing. By that I mean I didn't feel the "scoop" under me as much. I'm at work tomorrow so I'll ride there with one saddle and swap it out for the ride home. That will give me 10 mile go on each.

Using this I'll decide what saddle I want to use on the 440k ride this weekend, planning to use it the whole way. If it gets uncomfortable, I'll swap it out at mine (180k).

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
OK, tried the composit both ways, it was comfy and painful at the same time. Moved it forward quite a bit and pointed the nose down a bit. Made around 5/6 adjustments. I have always known I don't sit on the saddle straight but can't break the habit, the SMP forces you to. I'll pop down to my LBS tomorrow for some salt tablets for Sundays ride, I'll give the forma a go.

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
They can be quite fussy to set up , but i always find them comfy when i use a spirit level resting in the groove and set to level with the centre of the clamp aprox 55 mm from the rear bend on the rail
I went to the LBS to pick up some electrolyte tablets for tomorrow, about 20k. Way better than the composit but still dialling it in. I set of for my 440k ride in around 7hrs so I'll see how it goes. If all goes well, I'll purchase one. If not I'll send them back and check out the dynamic and evolution. At least I'm not having to fork out more than the £7 postage.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So @fossala how did you get on ?

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
So @fossala how did you get on ?
I ended up DNF'ing after 220k, I was ill earlier on in the week and packed it in as I went past my house. I didn't fancy riding back down to Penzance and back, the sofa looked too comfy. Put me in a bit of a pickle now as I need to do my 300k as a perm for my SR.

Anyway, on to the saddles. I rode the forma and it was great, hard but comfy. I still had a bit of tenderness from riding the composit. I contacted dillglove and asked if I could swap out the composit for a dynamic. I did my first 20 miles on the dynamic today but I think I prefer the forma. The dynamics cutout is smaller and I feel more pressure and mild numbness. I'll give it a few more days swapping between the two but I think when I send them both back I'll be ordering a forma.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You did well to manage 220 k then .

It was a good test either way for sure .

It's strange as i can almost use any saddle as long as it's flat and not too squidgy but i do prefer the smp's for sure

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
You did well to manage 220 k then .

It was a good test either way for sure .

It's strange as i can almost use any saddle as long as it's flat and not too squidgy but i do prefer the smp's for sure
I can use most saddles but I was getting issues with numbness and pain while peeing. The worst saddle I've used is the composit, didn't work for me at all. The forma is comfortable enough and cures the problem downstairs. TBH the modern take on the concor I'd been using was fantastic other than the aforementioned issues. I wish I could get on with any saddle as I could find more interesting things to spend close to £200 on...

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Took nearly a month between showing interest in SMP and buying a saddle but tomorrow I should have a shiny new forma in the post. Managed to get one from dillbrook for £150 rather than £180 as it's the older design embroidery, doesn't bother me as I prefer the old design. The new stripy one looks weird.

New
selle-smp-forma-front-side-black.jpg

Old
81Zhug44V5L._SX522_.jpg

Thanks @biggs682 for pointing me in Dillbrook's direction.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Took nearly a month between showing interest in SMP and buying a saddle but tomorrow I should have a shiny new forma in the post. Managed to get one from dillbrook for £150 rather than £180 as it's the older design embroidery, doesn't bother me as I prefer the old design. The new stripy one looks weird.

New
View attachment 464740
Old
View attachment 464741
Thanks @biggs682 for pointing me in Dillbrook's direction.

Glad it worked out for you , enjoy all those miles ahead sat on a smp ^_^

Top Bottom