Tax evasion scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
That one or one like it has been in the US for a while now. Since I'm home so much I now answer the phone so I can have a little fun with all these telemarketers. I always marvel at the fact that no matter what the scam is, whether it is to lower my credit card rate or get my overpayment back from my utilites every single one of these buggers has the exact same accent. I can't tell whether it's Indian, Pakistani or something else. And since they don't like to tell you their name, I alwasy ask their name. And every single time that accent is matched with the most American sounding names. Steve Matthews. John Smith. So, when they tell me their name is _____________, I respond that my name is Mahmood. Mahmood Bughazi. They then either laugh and keep going or get pissed off and tell me that he is going to fxxk my mother. They all want to fxxk my mother. I then tell them that's pretty wild because my mother is dead. So I ask them if they like fxxkxxg dead people. That really gets them p'd off. That's often when they hang up. And by then I'm ready to get back to doing whatever I've been doing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This might interest you all. A BBC journalist recorded this conversation with a scammer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56543849

D

Deleted member 26715

I got a call from a nice Indian gentleman saying he was from Ofgem & wanted to replace my gas combination boiler, after 5 minutes he advised me i was pranking him & he put the phone down, I think I pushed it a little too far when I said I'd have to get one of the servants to go out to the stable block to see whether the one over there was a combination, but I was sure the other 8 boilers we had were.

Also had the Royal Mail one to my mobile, we have a parcel, £1.99 to release it

I got a call from a nice Indian gentleman saying he was from Ofgem & wanted to replace my gas combination boiler, after 5 minutes he advised me i was pranking him & he put the phone down, I think I pushed it a little too far when I said I'd have to get one of the servants to go out to the stable block to see whether the one over there was a combination, but I was sure the other 8 boilers we had were.

Also had the Royal Mail one to my mobile, we have a parcel, £1.99 to release it
A case around now involving that scam, some young college student scammed out of her savings.

It's these things that we should be teaching our kids about as much as anything else.

Top Bottom