Tax free commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm... not sure I agree with that. They could deliberately live quite far from work in order to milk the taxpayer. In fact some probably do.

I only take on clients that live miles away so I can claim more.

Slim

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
despite being employed, i still get a tax return (hangover from freelance days).

Write to the IR and explain that you are no longer self employed and everything is taxed at source. It took me three years of pain-in-the-arse tax returns before it was suggested by a tax inspector cousin.

Brock

My employer is too bloody useless to sort out the cycle to work tax thing, and frankly I wouldn't want to feel beholden to the tossers anyway. Surely in this day and age bicycles should be tax free anyway.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
bonj said:
So not only do you evade VAT, you also evade income tax on your cycling gear. So effectively me the taxpayer is paying for your cycling gear. :biggrin: In effect, anyone that works is subsidising anything that anyone who's got their own business can claim is essential.
Which is fine for those that have got their own business, because it's a necessary perk for the risk of being self-employed. But for those of us that work 9-5, it pushes the prices and inflation up.

Off who?

Steady on there, tax evasion is a crime. The government has introduced a tax concession on biking to work and I'm simply using the concession. There's no evasion involved.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Steady on there, tax evasion is a crime. The government has introduced a tax concession on biking to work and I'm simply using the concession. There's no evasion involved.

I don't care. The idea that bonj is paying for Patrick's cycling gear has made my day...:biggrin:

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Arch said:
I don't care. The idea that bonj is paying for Patrick's cycling gear has made my day...:biggrin:

Maybe there should be a direct connection, so that bonj pays directly. Therefore, if I get a Colnago, bonj gets his tax increased immediately.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Maybe there should be a direct connection, so that bonj pays directly. Therefore, if I get a Colnago, bonj gets his tax increased immediately.:biggrin:

You could get me a recumbent bike too while you're at it, and I'll pay you back. :biggrin:

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:

i'll probably be a higher rate taxpayer soon I'll have you know :angry::angry::blush::evil:grrrr!

Big T

Guru
You don't claim it off the Inland Revenue, you claim cycle mileage from your employer. The Revenue recommend a rate of 20p per mile. I've claimed quite a few times when cycling to meetings and conferences.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
And if your employer doesn't pay cycling mileage, or you're self-employed, then you claim it off the Inland Revenue. Or rather you claim it as a deductible expense I think.

Top Bottom