1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax free commuting

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Cycling Naturalist, 8 Oct 2007.

1. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

I'd just like to remind the self employed and those with good employers, that with the tax breaks on bikes, there's also the benefit that specifically commuting kit is also tax deductible. So, my new windproof cycling jersey, bought today, means I get the VAT back and the rest set against tax, which brings the cost down quite a bit.

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I had an employer once, tried to get a VAT reciept for three ice cream cones.... That went down in legend....

3. Maz

Maz Guru

Does the company have to belong to a scheme for this?

4. Cycling Naturalist

Is this an implied criticism of my tax treatment today of the purchase of a 50p valve cover? :biggrin:

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Noooo.. No, it was just that this guy was renowned for reminding us to get VAT receipts, and so this really summed it up... And he nearly got beaten up by a market trader for not taking no for an answer....

6. Cycling Naturalist

No, this is a myth perpetuated by those who peddle (this is the correct spelling bonj :biggrin:) these schemes.

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

despite being employed, i still get a tax return (hangover from freelance days). so can i claim the cost of annual maintenance, clothing etc back against tax? sorry if i've misunderstood this.

8. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

Cyclists can also claim milage

9. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

So not only do you evade VAT, you also evade income tax on your cycling gear. So effectively me the taxpayer is paying for your cycling gear. :biggrin: In effect, anyone that works is subsidising anything that anyone who's got their own business can claim is essential.
    Which is fine for those that have got their own business, because it's a necessary perk for the risk of being self-employed. But for those of us that work 9-5, it pushes the prices and inflation up.
    Off who?

10. Lord of the Teapot

Inland Revenue. It's around 18p a mile, might be 21

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

do you have to be self employed though?

12. Cycling Naturalist

No, the scheme only works for employers and the self employed. You are employed and therefore your employer would have to provide the bike etc.

13. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

bugger. thought so :biggrin:

14. Lord of the Teapot

Yes.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Hmmm... not sure I agree with that. They could deliberately live quite far from work in order to milk the taxpayer. In fact some probably do.