Tax free commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd just like to remind the self employed and those with good employers, that with the tax breaks on bikes, there's also the benefit that specifically commuting kit is also tax deductible. So, my new windproof cycling jersey, bought today, means I get the VAT back and the rest set against tax, which brings the cost down quite a bit.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had an employer once, tried to get a VAT reciept for three ice cream cones.... That went down in legend....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Is this an implied criticism of my tax treatment today of the purchase of a 50p valve cover? :biggrin:

Noooo.. No, it was just that this guy was renowned for reminding us to get VAT receipts, and so this really summed it up... And he nearly got beaten up by a market trader for not taking no for an answer....

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
despite being employed, i still get a tax return (hangover from freelance days). so can i claim the cost of annual maintenance, clothing etc back against tax? sorry if i've misunderstood this.

bonj2

So not only do you evade VAT, you also evade income tax on your cycling gear. So effectively me the taxpayer is paying for your cycling gear. :biggrin: In effect, anyone that works is subsidising anything that anyone who's got their own business can claim is essential.
Which is fine for those that have got their own business, because it's a necessary perk for the risk of being self-employed. But for those of us that work 9-5, it pushes the prices and inflation up.
Lord of the Teapot said:
Cyclists can also claim milage

Off who?

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
alecstilleyedye said:
despite being employed, i still get a tax return (hangover from freelance days). so can i claim the cost of annual maintenance, clothing etc back against tax? sorry if i've misunderstood this.

No, the scheme only works for employers and the self employed. You are employed and therefore your employer would have to provide the bike etc.

bonj2

Lord of the Teapot said:

Hmmm... not sure I agree with that. They could deliberately live quite far from work in order to milk the taxpayer. In fact some probably do.

Top Bottom