Tax return done!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A friend of mine 'plays the mental health card'. To her neighbours she's a normal friendly person. Her close friends know what she's been through and how much support she has needed over the years. She couldn't cope with employment and an employer couldn't cope with her. It's not always visible.

Anyway, I appear to owe a few hundred quid this year. But never mind.

I always used to thoroughly resent it if it turned out that I owed HMRC some money after I'd completed my tax returns. Seven years ago, I temporarily and suddenly turned into a "Frequent Flyer" with the NHS and had many, many thousands of pounds worth of medical attention without having to stick my hand in my wallet once.
Owing HMRC some moolah has never felt too bad since then.

Shame the big corps don't feel similarly grateful for the services that they are benefitting from huh??
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...est-firms-paid-year-5-got-handout-taxman.html

People get all uppity about supposed 'benefit scroungers' - sure there will be few gaming the system, but at least that money does end up going back into the economy.

Do they get so overheated about the industrial scale tax dodging such as practised by ama3on and their ilk?? Where the money gets offshored, and is never seen again??

It wouldn't appear so.

I don't 'enjoy' paying tax, my income is pretty modest compared with many peoples, but someone has to pay for the education, hospitals, social care, and all the other stuff we collectively benefit from.

The UK is top of the league tables for facilitating tax avoidance.. Yay!! go us :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
My accountant does mine for me. And as I paid to get her through the qualifications she doesn't charge me a penny ;)

Mind you, with alk the furlough claims being processed at the moment, accountants and bookkeepers are earning an absolutely mint at the moment. Daughter 3 reckons she's doing 75 hour weeks at the moment (from home, fortunately) and could easily do more if she could stay awake. The upside is its on course to Gross her well over 70k this financial year, and she's only 23. No wonder she can afford a freebie for her auld Dad.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just paid...
...my pension! Thanks dude!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Some big bills coming up after people opted to postpone the 2nd payment on account back in July.

Fortunately you can apply via the online return to reduce the 20/21 payments on account to take into account reduced profits for this year.

straas

Matt
I have to do one for property income.

I'm always very disorganised with it - does anyone pay it off throughout the year rather than being hit with a big January bill every year?

Drago

Legendary Member
Nah, I wait until the end of the year to pay. Not that I get much interest on it, but the tiny bit of interest is mine, and the longer its in my bank account the less time the government have to spend it on pizza takeaways for Whitehall staff who do nothing more than work late.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm feeling rather smug. Did mine over the weekend and I'm due a massive rebate of £155:laugh: I normally do this at the very last minute and always have issues finding all the relevant paperwork and promise myself I will do better next time. Just for once, I appear to have kept my promise.

Top Bottom