TDF climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Not sure, I think it's length and height gained. Could always try riding up porlock hill!

Out of curiosity anyone know what cheddar gorge is categorized at?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Buddfox

Veteran
A climb's category also depends where it comes in the stage, and how it interelates with other climbs, so there are no hard and fast rules to determine what makes a certain climb a certain category. If I could make one general categorisation about climbs in the UK, they tend to be shorter (a lot), and sometimes steeper than climbs you find in the Tour.

Rob500

ChefD, mapmyride.com claims that it categorizes climbs based on the climb rating given by the UCI. However, they also say that there is no subjective analysis used in the final rating. They have also added their own lesser cat 5 to the data.

It can be a bit of fun checking out that monster climb from round your way that you know would leave lesser fellows in a crumpled heap only to find that it doesn't even rate as a Cat 5. :laugh:

Rob500

The Latin American commentators where I live were saying today that one of today's Cat1 climbs was a Cat3 in a previous tour.

Just watching the highlights program. They've said that this is the first time that the Mur de Péguère has been in the TDF. It must have been Port de Lers the Latin American commentators were on about.

Buddfox

Veteran
The tour has been to the UK before and went up Ditchling in Sussex IIRC. Anybody now if points were handed out for that?

As far as I have been able to find out, Ditchling was uncategorised in 94, as it was too short. There was a Cat 3 climb out of Brighton though.

BSRU

A Human Being
As far as I have been able to find out, Ditchling was uncategorised in 94, as it was too short. There was a Cat 3 climb out of Brighton though.
I know Elm Grove in Brighton was classed as a cat 3 when the Tour de France cycled up it.

Rob500

there is a road called kirkstone pass in the lake district

Hi. Here's what mmr comes up with.
KP Lake D.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think this is regarded as the highest/longest cat in Britain http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184675096. We are doing the Applecross one in September and that is about the same climb but you get the advantage of it being spread over a mile longer.

I've ridden the Bealach na Ba from the harder Torridon side as part of the Bealach na Ba sportive. It is the toughest overall road climb I've ridden in Britain, although not the steepest - that would be Park Rash in the Yorkshire Dales. I think that Rosedale might be officially steeper, but it didn't feel like it to me. Mind you I had just done Fleet Moss before going up Park Rash...

Top Bottom