TdF - Spectating the last week in the Pyrenees. Your Advice ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Not been before, but I am driving down for stages 16 & 17, plus will ride some cols.

In general,

1. We re planning to rough camp on the mountain the night before, to avoid problems with road closure.
2. Take loads of food and drink, in case we can't get fed & watered.
3. Ideally I would like to stay on a campsite for some days, but I am struggling to find any that has availability or will accept a booking for less than a week. Any suggestions welcome. Looking at Luz St Sauveur, or anywhere reasonably close enough for the racing or riding the cols.

Any advice on rough camping/camp sites/ when roads close before each stage / general are VERY welcome.

TIA !

See you there :hello:

I am touring in the area and all being well staying in Marignac on the 18th and then hopefully cycling the peyresourde on the 19th. I have a tentative offer of a free bed from a French couple from an internet forum otherwise I will be wild camping/ municipal site as close as possible.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I have booked an apartment for 2 nights in Luz Saint Sauveur, will camp out on the Tourmalet & Peyresourde the night before.

Any ideas when the road closes before the stage ?

Any other advice really welcome.

mikezero

hi,
have you managed to update your plans.im looking for any helpfull info on watching on the tourmalet.
so far im planning to approach the col from the down slope the day before and camp as far up as possible with a car and walk the rest.
any advice warmley welcome.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Pretty much likewise.

The race climbs from the Western side, from Luz, so I am intending to take the car up the night before and find a spot to camp. If I cannot get the car up, I will ride up the col in the morning, very, early.

The caravan is scheduled for half one and the race on or after 14:45.

I haven't finalised what I will be doing for the stage the day after, but the Peyresourde looks favourite.

God knows how, but I managed to find an apartment in Luz for a couple of nights, so I can get a shower, etc.

Top Bottom