TDI Tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Remember this all puts additional strain on the engine and components, so factor in they won't last as long ! My son and his mates get their cars professionally re-mapped, and all have various issues relating to the additional power. Our cars are stock, and just work, and have worked for years.

DRM

Guru
Remember this all puts additional strain on the engine and components, so factor in they won't last as long ! My son and his mates get their cars professionally re-mapped, and all have various issues relating to the additional power. Our cars are stock, and just work, and have worked for years.
This ^^^^ my last van was stock, 120 BHP, but the components in the drive train were designed to have the bare minimum of capacity, hence they went through drive shafts and clutches with alarming frequency, this was not just one or two vans but a complete fleet the length and breadth of the UK, around 350 vans, so as Fossyant says be careful, there's also insurance implications too, as caravans go 1450kg is quite light tbh

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You put extra stress on everything, engine mounts etc etc. VW have a habit of designing stuff to a specified limit. My son's lower engine mount snapped in two. On looking at it it's a weedy bit of metal when I compared it to the ones that I'd fitted to an Aygo that has just 68 bhp, and much smaller to what's fitted to a Qashqai. Plus if you are towing you'll be using that exra torque a lot more. Be prepared.

Traction comes from 4 wheels but the engine components, especially the turbo, will be under load. VW turbos aren't great when over boosted.

tyred

Legendary Member
The TDIs seem to take it in their stride but are often very smokey. Lots of them mapped around here. VAG do good diesels in fairness, not convinced about their petrol engines.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Curious that this has come up. Some years ago my son was converting a VW Transporter into a camper van and along the way he had it remapped. It was all, oh, it'll take it, the mpg is the same, the only difference between different power outputs is the mapping. I was highly dubious about that at the time, especially as he was inclined to use the extra performance. Sure enough, a few months later I had a phone call requesting a tow home as he'd snapped a drive shaft a mile or two from home. To me, It was incredible that a drive shaft would snap in this day and age. A rare occurrence? Or a result of the extra performance? It didn't happen again.

Jameshow

Veteran
This ^^^^ my last van was stock, 120 BHP, but the components in the drive train were designed to have the bare minimum of capacity, hence they went through drive shafts and clutches with alarming frequency, this was not just one or two vans but a complete fleet the length and breadth of the UK, around 350 vans, so as Fossyant says be careful, there's also insurance implications too, as caravans go 1450kg is quite light tbh

What van was that?

As vans are generally designed for 3.5t + 3.5t trailer as used by utility companies.

As to the upping of the OP 4x4 I would say go for it as the Skoda is 190 and I bet it's just chipped!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32535768...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The 180biti in the caravelle and pickup had issues but the single turbo 2.0 has been fine.

As to the upping of the OP 4x4 I would say go for it as the Skoda is 190 and I bet it's just chipped!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32535768...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Ha!!, that's a lot shinier than mine!!!
Mindst you, mine was............. the day I brought it home:laugh:
PL67 DVZ. 3.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Have the bluetooth box for my van but never fitted it, have an actual remap instead.

I might revisit again, would be nice to turn it down when the extra hp isnt required, but keep the torque near. Its up to 117hp or so from 90

Feel free to have a look: charlie echo twelve bravo oscar victor

Last edited:
Top Bottom