TDI Tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes, the original Hiace was utterly bomb proof, albeit thirsty, they were indestructible

We have an old 2.4 hi ace at work and as you say it's never gone wrong.

Not fast or economical but it keeps on chugging.

Broadside

Guru
I’ve got a VW Transporter T6, I had it remapped by Revo who are a very well known outfit. Lots of happy customers and any engine variants that end up with issues get removed from their range. I had mine done 2 years (50,000 miles) ago and it has been brilliant. We got it done to improve drivability, it really is how it should have left the factory. It made no difference to the insurance but when I told them about tinted rear windows to improve security to stop peering in to the load compartment that added £35 to the annual policy cost!

Jameshow

Veteran
I’ve got a VW Transporter T6, I had it remapped by Revo who are a very well known outfit. Lots of happy customers and any engine variants that end up with issues get removed from their range. I had mine done 2 years (50,000 miles) ago and it has been brilliant. We got it done to improve drivability, it really is how it should have left the factory. It made no difference to the insurance but when I told them about tinted rear windows to improve security to stop peering in to the load compartment that added £35 to the annual policy cost!

150bhp to....?

Broadside

Guru
Mine is a 150bhp and it is something like 175bhp now but I don’t have actual figures. The bigger improvement comes from the torque increase providing a lot more power at lower revs. The van now flies if you want it to but I don’t drive it like that, it is just a much easier vehicle to drive with the remap with a much smoother power delivery profile. They really should leave the factory like this.

Jameshow

Veteran
Mine is a 150bhp and it is something like 175bhp now but I don’t have actual figures. The bigger improvement comes from the torque increase providing a lot more power at lower revs. The van now flies if you want it to but I don’t drive it like that, it is just a much easier vehicle to drive with the remap with a much smoother power delivery profile. They really should leave the factory like this.

Manual or dsg???

Jameshow

Veteran
Manual 6 speed

Mine is DSG so wondered if a upgrade would affect it much.

Broadside

Guru
It will make exactly the same difference to the engine output. Quite often people with DSG then follow up with a remap of the gearbox control, I think it’s called a TVS drivability map which improves the way the gearbox behaves, apparently makes a huge difference. If you’re interested head over to t6forum.com, there is a wealth of info on there.

Jameshow

Veteran
Interesting the gearbox can be a little notchy at times under load usually.

Most if the time it's unnoticeable which gear your in.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

They should and usually do in some regard. Engines aren't designed solely to be 90/115/30/150/75 or whichever HP. The 90 variant will share much if not all of the internals as a 150 or higher model and even then, everything is over engineered.

It's just ecu and electronic trickery

Jody

Stubborn git
They should and usually do in some regard. Engines aren't designed solely to be 90/115/30/150/75 or whichever HP. The 90 variant will share much if not all of the internals as a 150 or higher model and even then, everything is over engineered.

Take the timing, fuel and ancillaries off and they are all pretty much identical. Same can be said for most manufacturers

HP changes are at most turbo, injectors and mapping

Broadside

Guru

I used to think that but there are more changes than you might guess. They all have the same engine block but the lower power models have a small turbo, the mid range gets a larger turbo and then the top power variant gets a twin turbo. They also change the gearbox because the 5 speed box cannot handle the additional torque and some of these have failed following a remap, so the mid and top power models get a stronger 6 speed box.

I agree with the over engineering point which is why I went ahead with it, guessing there is some headroom to squeeze a bit more performance out of the same engine so long as you don’t go crazy chasing massive gains that will create too much stress leading to premature failures.

Top Bottom