TDY 2015 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I know I said "no" right after, but....... I actually might.

I'd do two things different. Don't mess up with the drinks, and switch to SPD's so if I need to walk again I don't trash a set of cleats.

lee1980sim

I know I said "no" right after, but....... I actually might.

I'd do two things different. Don't mess up with the drinks, and switch to SPD's so if I need to walk again I don't trash a set of cleats.
I was thinking, if you asked me on Sunday or Monday it's a definite no but today I've been thinking yes, things I'd do differently... Get a hill climbing get setup, try and go with someone /some people around the same level as me seen as I dropped my buddy on the 2nd climb (actually dropped him on the first but waited for him once it levelled off, but he said not to wait and we'd see each other at the end)

Schneil

Veteran
This was Haworth main street and crowds were already gathering at the top.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRDr9PjQ_s

I'm in this at 1:54 (white bike in the middle). It's just an endless stream of riders. Keep an eye out for the tandem later on :smile:

I know the guys on the tandem at 3:17. It's Brian (stoker) and George (pilot). Myself, B&G all did the TDY 142km route on Sunday.
The tandem is an orbit lightning and belongs to Walthew House in Stockport. Walthew is a charity for the visually and hearing impaired.
Brian is registered blind, but a very fit guy and a keen cyclist. I can't keep up with them when they are going for it! They were interviewed post-ride by BBC Radio Leeds. Is there any way to access the interview?

I think I was one of the slowest 142km riders as I kept my mudguards and rack on. Handy for a rack bag with a couple of spare layers. Not so handy for hills....

There was another nasty accident near Halifax. An old lady driving a van was waiting at a side road waiting to turn right. She almost turned right into the cyclist in front of me causing him to swerve, however she stopped. 10 or so seconds later I hear a nasty crunch. I whip the bike round to see what happened. The same driver had gone and turned right and collided with one of the cyclists behind me. He's spark out in the middle of the road, ambulance and police are being called by bystanders. I hope he's OK!

MikeW-71

Veteran
I know the guys on the tandem at 3:17. It's Brian (stoker) and George (pilot). Myself, B&G all did the TDY 142km route on Sunday.
The tandem is an orbit lightning and belongs to Walthew House in Stockport. Walthew is a charity for the visually and hearing impaired.
Brian is registered blind, but a very fit guy and a keen cyclist. I can't keep up with them when they are going for it!
Fantastic effort from you guys and congrats to Brian :bravo:

Yeah I really hated having a heavy bike and 12-27. I had to push it up the last hill :sad:
Is it worth it having a 11-30 in the garage for hilly rides???
Definately. 3 teeth doesn't sound like much, but it's a significant difference.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I contacted North Yorkshire police about the 3 injured cyclists on the descent to Sutton-in-Craven. You'll be pleased to hear that the injuries turned out not to be as bad as they looked - just nasty road rash, cuts and bruises. All 3 cyclists were taken to hospital and have since made good recoveries. :smile:

As to whether or not I would ride the event again ... If I get fit enough to stand a reasonable chance of getting round the longest route before the cut-off then I might be tempted to have a go at that. £40-50 is a lot of money for me to spend riding roads that I can do any time for nothing, but I have a small pension starting just before next year's event and I could reserve £50 of the lump sum for the TdY sportive ... :whistle:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just had an email from my Scottish cousin. He wants to do this year's event, especially since he only managed the first part of last year's, having trashed his bike just after Bingley.

I've said that I will go with him if we can both get entries.

It is a much easier route than the 2015 one. Only just over a month to go though, so if you want to do it get your entries in ASAP - HERE!

Top Bottom