TDY 2015 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Massive respect to those that did the ride, I was working all weekend so didn't get to see any of the racing or take part in the sportive, but when I went out for 15 miles yesterday morning before work & got soaked to the skin I was glad that I wasn't doing the sportive, I'd had enough after 15miles

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
As if all that was not enough, a marshal told my cousin that a cyclist had overtaken another on a bend and gone head on into the front of a van, and went through the windscreen.
I wonder if replicating an event done on closed roads by pros, but on open roads by amateurs may have contributed. Hope none of the injuries turn out to be critical, I wonder if we'll find out?

MikeW-71

Veteran
On the other hand, the crowds were gathering and cheering on absolutely everyone. Haworth main street was brilliant with one old fella near the top calling out "ga'an lads, tha's nearly there!". Cow and Calf had a large crowd already gathering, and the finish line was deafening :biggrin:

I saw many different bikes, all makes and varieties of road bike, hybrids, two tandems, and even a couple of knobbly-tyred MTB's.

I saw lots of other people out riding bikes, in places they would probably not have done without the event being on. With less traffic about, and what there was being very respectful (not that they had much choice with so many riders) some fear seemed to have been removed. Kids were out and about, families were riding to spectating sites.

I enjoyed the event. If I hadn't had the stomach issues, I would have got up Cow and Calf without walking, but I still wouldn't have made the last 20% one.

I doubt I'll enter one like this again though. With time pressure to reach a cutoff point, perhaps some riders pushed it too far on the fast bits rather than being able to take it steadier.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
First and without doubt foremost my thanks to the wonderful people of Yorkshire who cheered us - not just those gathering for the pro race but those who were out much, much earlier and gave us lots of support. It was fantastic, and the only thing that kept me upright on the last 100 yards of that climb outside Ilkley.

On Saturday I wasn't sure I could complete this ride so I very pleased to have done it and only walked on one climb, Goosefoot, to the bend and then I hopped back on the bike. I clocked 82.9m, 8845 feet, average 11.6mph and a total of 7 hours 7 minutes - I did forget to switch the Garmin back on after Pool which is why my numbers don't quite match up. Despite the weather, I was very wet but never cold when moving, I had a great day and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Now though to the organisation......oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. This was awful. I'm an experienced 60 year old cyclist, I know what to do in very bad weather on unfamiliar roads and especially huge descents so at no point did I feel uncomfortable - though my hands ached from constant braking!!. However I have severe reservations over this route for a mass participation ride. Clearly anyone can chose to cycle anywhere on the public highway but I feel it's a different matter to encourage large numbers of amateur riders (no matter how good) on to some of these very narrow and very steep descents. I've never seen so many serious accidents, I pray everyone comes out alive and well, because at least one rider I saw may not have done. Given the weather conditions, some roads were literally awash, the first descent out from Roundhay was covered in water, silt and debris and at the top of some climbs visibilty was perhaps 30 yards, serious questions should be asked if this event should have gone ahead.

It would be fair to ask why did I carry on? Well I don't know the area and therefore couldn't know what was ahead. I'm confident in my own ability to ride within my own limits and those the conditions determine but we all know there are riders who take a different approach to sportives. I saw a lot of very fast descending which to my mind was excessive. I expect sportive organisation to have a strong emphasis on rider safety which meas the roads should be appropriate.

The stewards in Roundhay at 06.00am had no idea where the car parking was!!! At the start we had no shelter at all. Food? Very well supplied with energy bars and electrolyte but then it was jelly babies or cold boiled potato. £50???? The cut off points were only announced after we'd all entered which must have created pressure for some riders, my view was "sod it, you can't stop me riding on the road" - which proved unecessary as the cut off was not applied to many and for others it was simply a case of taking the number off and carrying on.

When I arrived in Pool we were directed off the road to the car park by the village hall and told we had to wait for the race to pass. Fair enough. I enquired where the pros were and was told 15 minutes away. Seemed very reasonable. We were held back for 75 minutes while cars, vans and other cyclists carried on. It was only sportive entrants who were stopped! Ridiculous - I could have ridden to Roundhay in that time and got there before the finish!!

On arrival in Roundhay no organisation left at all because the delay at Pool made us very late. OK I understand that BUT there could have been a rider missing and no one would know if he/she had got back to Roundhay or not.

Two last words - to the cyclists who ignored the marshall's requests to dismount and walk beyond the ambulances to not do so was ignorant - the same type of behaviour we criticise car drivers for.

I realise this sounds like a good long moan. It isn't meant to be. I had a great day riding with my son and his best friend. We all achieved better times and coped better with the climbs than expected and as I've said the Yorkshire people were fantastic. Would I ride it again? At the moment no I wouldn't

PS - the mechanic from Mavic was damn good. Sorted my lad's rear brake problem in no time. Bizarely they were both French with little English and I'm not famous for my conversational French. He was very good though. Merci!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The local council, same as colinJ's, were not aware of the number of people actually doing this ride. Their expectation was 100 maximum. Picture I posted earlier was of a section of the route I use quite often. For the number of riders actually taking part, I'm going to say that it was poor planning in parts. I wasn't on the ride, but do know no proper provision was actually made, locally, for it.
For those who did take part well done and sorry we couldn't repeat the weather of last year. To those who were injured, I hope you get well soon and were not to badly injured.

Sorry your lasting impression of Yorkshire may be the downside of this ride.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Much of the route was not causing me too much bother, but Goose Eye and Black Hill were two savage gradients too far for me though. If I could have gone out to Haworth, up the main street, and then come back by a different route without big 20%ers, I'd have called it a really nice day ride :smile:

I'd love to pop back and do some more riding over there though, it was lovely :biggrin:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
classic33 just have to pick up on two things. My wife and I met in and spent four wonderful years in York - that was 37 years ago and we still feel we are going home when we visit the city. A poorly organised ride could never colour my view of the fantastic place Yorkshire is.

Secondly I'm amazed your local council only expected 100 riders. Someone definetley conned them on that one!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone know how many actually took part.
"Its only around a hundred people on bikes." They seemed more concerned with the main ride, than the sportive.

MikeW-71

Veteran
5000+ was talked about. Enough that over the whole route, I was never riding alone. There must have been 300 riders at any one time at the final feed stop.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Unusually - I was very surprised by this - a list of entrants was published broken down by route,name, sex, age. The numbers were:

140km 2810
105km 1611
50km 681
Cycletta 296

Total 5398 (the actual list showed 5401 but I don't have the energy to find 3 missing!)

Last edited:
Just a fwiw from earwigging Ilkley road side?

One of the best bits of Sunday (for me, at least) was the crowd's respect and admiration for the sportive. They had come out to see the big guys, the cycling celebs, the Wiggins's and Sky, and whatever; revisit the TdF. PLUS ... they got
  • Waves upon waves of ordinary lads and lasses.
  • From superfit lycra clad to the "rather less streamlined"; eeeeeh, there were some generously padded crumple-zones on some of those riders.
  • The numbers - 6000 (!!!!!) cyclists accepted out of ... (how many applicants?).
  • And that these guys and lasses had battled through the foul weather earlier in the morning, still with energy to grin, or wave.

And all that made many in "my" Ilkley crowd think. And talk. It left them in some awe.

That's impact, lads and lasses.

Whatever needs doing to improve on any deficiencies in planning or organisation, fair enough. But I hope the event stays in the programe next year.

Top Bottom