Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Deary deary me. No, WD, the cake isn't for you, it's for me. I'm skinny as a rake, and there is no better cake than a mature rich fruit cake. As you owe me a cake I think you'd better start working out the logistics of getting it to me. Oh, and the marzipan should be at least 15mm thick all over (down the sides too), and held on with apricot jam.

A Christmas cake in other words. :laugh:

MikeG

Guru
A Christmas cake in other words. :laugh:

Thanks. I don't mind if I do.

petek

Über Member
Fill yer boots lads. Here's one MrsP makes regularly and she won a WI prize for it at their summer fair.
Kitchen Kit.
1 X 23cm (9"x9") baking tin.
Or
1 x Tin Foil Tray 30 cm x 20 cm x 5cm : 12"x8"x2"
Or
Two small loaf tins.
Whichever you choose they need to be lined with baking parchment well greased with butter.
Ingredients.
150 gms -5 oz butter.
300 gms - 10 ox Golden Syrup.
200 gms - 7 oz Dark Moscovado Sugar.
250 mls - 8 fluid ounces of Guinness.
3 teaspoons of Dried Ginger.
2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.
1 teaspoon of Mixed Spice.
300 gms - 10 oz Plain Flour.
2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda.
Sieve those two together.
300 mls - 10 fluid ounces of Sour Cream.
2 large eggs.
Method...
Put Butter, Syrup, Sugar, Guinness, Ginger, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice into a pan and melt over a low heat.
Take off heat when melted.
Whisk in sieved-together Flour and Bicarbonate of Soda one tablespoon at a time to avoid lumps forming.
Whisk Sour Cream and 2 Eggs together and add to mix whilst whisking gently.
Pour into tin.
Set oven at 170 or Gas Mark 3
Takes between 45 and 60 minutes.
When ready it will rise in the centre and come away from the sides.o
Check with a skewer to see if it is done right through.
If starting to catch on top cover it with a sheet of tinfoil.
Cake will keep for two week sin a tin if wrapped in baking parchment then cling film.
Can be frozen thus wrapped and will keep for 3-months.
MrsP thinks that it actually improves with freezing and age but there's seldom much left to keep.

MikeG

Guru
Fill yer boots lads. Here's one MrsP makes regularly and she won a WI prize for it at their summer fair.
Kitchen Kit.
1 X 23cm (9"x9") baking tin.
Or
1 x Tin Foil Tray 30 cm x 20 cm x 5cm : 12"x8"x2"
Or
Two small loaf tins.
Whichever you choose they need to be lined with baking parchment well greased with butter.
Ingredients.
150 gms -5 oz butter.
300 gms - 10 ox Golden Syrup.
200 gms - 7 oz Dark Moscovado Sugar.
250 mls - 8 fluid ounces of Guinness.
3 teaspoons of Dried Ginger.
2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.
1 teaspoon of Mixed Spice.
300 gms - 10 oz Plain Flour.
2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda.
Sieve those two together.
300 mls - 10 fluid ounces of Sour Cream.
2 large eggs.
Method...
Put Butter, Syrup, Sugar, Guinness, Ginger, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice into a pan and melt over a low heat.
Take off heat when melted.
Whisk in sieved-together Flour and Bicarbonate of Soda one tablespoon at a time to avoid lumps forming.
Whisk Sour Cream and 2 Eggs together and add to mix whilst whisking gently.
Pour into tin.
Set oven at 170 or Gas Mark 3
Takes between 45 and 60 minutes.
When ready it will rise in the centre and come away from the sides.o
Check with a skewer to see if it is done right through.
If starting to catch on top cover it with a sheet of tinfoil.
Cake will keep for two week sin a tin if wrapped in baking parchment then cling film.
Can be frozen thus wrapped and will keep for 3-months.
MrsP thinks that it actually improves with freezing and age but there's seldom much left to keep.

Don't freeze it! The whole point of rich fruit cakes is that they mature, and get fed some brandy. Not enough spice or cinnamon, and the Guinness should be replaced with a strong tea. Dump the ginger. A proper fruit cake takes 2 or 3 hours to cook, too.

Oh, wait a sec...........it's got no fruit in it. So scrap all that. It's not a fruit cake. I'm making moves to have you banned for heinously raising expectations only to dash them to death on the Rocks of Disappointment.

Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him!

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't freeze it! The whole point of rich fruit cakes is that they mature, and get fed some brandy. Not enough spice or cinnamon, and the Guinness should be replaced with a strong tea. Dump the ginger. A proper fruit cake takes 2 or 3 hours to cook, too.

Oh, wait a sec...........it's got no fruit in it. So scrap all that. It's not a fruit cake. I'm making moves to have you banned for heinously raising expectations only to dash them to death on the Rocks of Disappointment.

Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him! Ban him!
You mean
Daffy Red Card.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks. I don't mind if I do.
And if you do?

Top Bottom