Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Warming up with the live game on BT Sport,
rain may stop play again:angry:

nah...
"Narrow" them a bit then?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'll just use a paring knife...

Got a Geomagnetic Disturbance alert earlier..
a lot happening up in the upper atmosphere just now..
think the peak has passed although possible others in the next 48 hours...
Was only half listening to the Scottish weather tonight, but sure I heard her say might be Aurora Borealis sightings tonight. Will it be connected?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Was only half listening to the Scottish weather tonight, but sure I heard her say might be Aurora Borealis sightings tonight. Will it be connected?
Yeah..
HF frequencies are picking up ..
they were pretty dead today..
the ones I concentrate on come alive as soon as daylight fades...
Mr C pointed you to the correct place, all those figures and it depends on the solar wind,
if it speeds up, who knows.

BGS is HERE
Presently active/G1, we'd want G5 to stand a chance but...
Geomagnetic Disturbance Alert
15-17 May 2019
British Geological Survey
There is an increased chance of viewing the aurora from 15-17 May 2019.

At present, the Earth is in the wake of magnetic storm conditions, caused by the unexpectedly early arrival of the first of a series of coronal mass ejections (CMEs) that have left the Sun since 11 May. Storm conditions could recur or even worsen overnight, potentially causing displays of aurora at higher latitude areas, for example the north of Scotland.

The arrival of the first of the remaining CMEs is expected late on 15 May or during 16 May. As the Earth’s magnetic field is likely to be in an already perturbed state, it is expected that this arrival will result in further magnetic storm conditions on the evening of 16 May.

Two further CMEs left the Sun on the 13th are expected to arrive either late on 16 May or early on 17 May. As with the previous CMEs, these originated from a central location on the solar disc and so are likely to have a significant Earth-directed component and lead to further geomagnetic storms.

Assuming clear dark skies there is an increased chance of seeing the aurora over the next three nights, should conditions creep up into the STORM G1 or G2 categories (on the NOAA geomagnetic activity scale).

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah..
HF frequencies are picking up ..
they were pretty dead today..
the ones I concentrate on come alive as soon as daylight fades...
Mr C pointed you to the correct place, all those figures and it depends on the solar wind,
if it speeds up, who knows.

BGS is HERE
Presently active/G1, we'd want G5 to stand a chance but...
Geomagnetic Disturbance Alert
15-17 May 2019
British Geological Survey
There is an increased chance of viewing the aurora from 15-17 May 2019.

At present, the Earth is in the wake of magnetic storm conditions, caused by the unexpectedly early arrival of the first of a series of coronal mass ejections (CMEs) that have left the Sun since 11 May. Storm conditions could recur or even worsen overnight, potentially causing displays of aurora at higher latitude areas, for example the north of Scotland.

The arrival of the first of the remaining CMEs is expected late on 15 May or during 16 May. As the Earth’s magnetic field is likely to be in an already perturbed state, it is expected that this arrival will result in further magnetic storm conditions on the evening of 16 May.

Two further CMEs left the Sun on the 13th are expected to arrive either late on 16 May or early on 17 May. As with the previous CMEs, these originated from a central location on the solar disc and so are likely to have a significant Earth-directed component and lead to further geomagnetic storms.

Assuming clear dark skies there is an increased chance of seeing the aurora over the next three nights, should conditions creep up into the STORM G1 or G2 categories (on the NOAA geomagnetic activity scale).
They can get the weather for something 93,000,000 miles away, but not the weather for where you are.
How?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
They can get the weather for something 93,000,000 miles away, but not the weather for where you are.
How?
They get it just as wrong...
I spent an hour or two Nov 2017(?) waiting on a dead certain aurora..
It arrived 24 hours later..
I don't head out anymore..

I can tell by HF radio conditions if anything is happening then go have a look..

boo-boo, only one game tonight, doubleheader tomorrow, oops..

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Late early or early late?

24 hours out ain't that bad.

Time to do a jigsaw first..
bones.jpg

Top Bottom