Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning:hello:

can't play Monopoly never mind the bagpipes:laugh:
Owdo

You tried Junior Monopoly, said to be easier. And the newer versions come with cards, not cash, meaning you've no money to handle. Batteries can last up to an hour in the card terminal.

Morning??

classic33

Leg End Member
At two this morning, it was big flake snow
but dunno where it all disappeared

or was I dreaming it:laugh:
T'was all a dream, nothing else.
A few hours with the marigolds will prove that.

classic33

Leg End Member
Forecast says heavy rain which should clear away the snow I hope tho' not started yet. Bitterly cold Southerly wind and as I have to keep some fixed ventilation as I have solid fuel heating in one room the wind tends to blow in and makes it colder.
The ones in the holiday house opposite are 3 men in new looking high viz outfits with 2 vehicles. On Sunday they set up what looked like surveying gear with a short antenna on top which was set up in a precise direction and left there all day with a flashing light. Another one seemed to be set up on the other side of the house. Yesterday they set off with new looking but serious cold weather outfits. Any French telecommunication companies? Many supposedly UK companies are foreign owned anyway.
There are attempts to get bits of our airspace shut down to allow for drone usage which is much resisted by the flying community. Suspicions are easily aroused.
People often come to places like this and assume we are all a bunch of hicks so can be easily overawed. Bad mistake as many are highly educated in all sorts of fields and have travelled widely so not going to be browbeaten by anybody.
Nothing to do with any of the space ports being considered for Scotland. Bearing in mind the unknown work(No updates this year.) that was being done on a nearby island.

Telefonica, operates as O2 over here, own part of BT, OpenReach and EE.

Next time you see them, in their cold weather gear, go out in shorts and T-shirt. That'll get them wondering.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It was a straight antenna about 3ft long. It looked as if it was being lined up with the main radio masts 2 or 3 miles away
These guys did not look like ordinary land surveyors somehow and were all dressed in the same outfits.
There is an empty rocky field almost opposite my house which belongs apparently to somebody who lives in Australia but seems difficult to contact. Myself and another neighbour tried to get part of the field for car parking but failed to get any response. The fear is that it may get a house or houses built on it and spoil our view as well as interfere with car parking so anybody surveying is regarded with suspicion.
The drone thing talked about is to deliver anything but currently medical supplies are being emphasised to here and to Coll and Tiree. It has been pointed out by objectors that we already have adequate supply chains and there is an air ambulance and helicopter on call if required.
3ft length would throw it in the high VHF to lower UHF band..
The height antenna they use is a small round saucer shape..
I assume its the antenna site you can see approaching the island? edit to add Toronsay..
The 'local' ham radio 2m repeater HI used to be there, I could open it from my last location but it's moved down the hill a bit now I think.
Localised height surveying would take very little time,
I'd have thought there would have been some restrictions on the islands
except for essential work.
No planning applications showing up?

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
3ft length would throw it in the high VHF to lower UHF band..
The height antenna they use is a small round saucer shape..
I assume its the antenna site you can see approaching the island? edit to add Toronsay..
The 'local' ham radio 2m repeater HI used to be there, I could open it from my last location but it's moved down the hill a bit now I think.
Localised height surveying would take very little time,
I'd have thought there would have been some restrictions on the islands
except for essential work.
No planning applications showing up?
It was not pointing to Torosay but rather more north west towards what is on the map as Meall an Inbhire
tho’ that is not the local name. These are masts which date back to wartime but are still in use for tv and phone. Not looked for planning applications but doubt if any local would be missed by others. If they were interested in Torosay they would be further south. I used to be able to see the light on the top of the Torosay mast from my house but I think trees have got taller and obscured it. It would make sense if they were planning a route to Coll to travel up the Sound and then to Coll.
If you are a radio ham you probably had contact with Ted Brockie who died a couple of years ago. Don’t know his call sign

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It was not pointing to Torosay but rather more north west towards what is on the map as Meall an Inbhire
tho’ that is not the local name. These are masts which date back to wartime but are still in use for tv and phone. Not looked for planning applications but doubt if any local would be missed by others. If they were interested in Torosay they would be further south. I used to be able to see the light on the top of the Torosay mast from my house but I think trees have got taller and obscured it. It would make sense if they were planning a route to Coll to travel up the Sound and then to Coll.
If you are a radio ham you probably had contact with Ted Brockie who died a couple of years ago. Don’t know his call sign
Ted ?, no haven't made contact. The only ham I've spoke with on Mull was the bloke who does the satellite stuff at Pennyghael, I stopped to chat with him on my cycle round the island in 2019, I had operated from the summit of Ben More 2012 or 13?..
I took a handie with me in 2019 but nobody..
Ah, got the hill now.
Only thing online I could see was an application for a lattice tower for an internet company who has other masts on the island, the website that used to be a mine of that type of information has disappeared.
OFCOM not coming forward with anything except as you say phone and TV stuff for that location.4
Oh well, it'll come out at some point..
Bloody incomers:laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Ted ?, no haven't made contact. The only ham I've spoke with on Mull was the bloke who does the satellite stuff at Pennyghael, I stopped to chat with him on my cycle round the island in 2019, I had operated from the summit of Ben More 2012 or 13?..
I took a handie with me in 2019 but nobody..
Ah, got the hill now.
Only thing online I could see was an application for a lattice tower for an internet company who has other masts on the island, the website that used to be a mine of that type of information has disappeared.
OFCOM not coming forward with anything except as you say phone and TV stuff for that location.4
Oh well, it'll come out at some point..
Bloody incomers:laugh:
Just need to wait and see if anything develops. Pennyghael is about 50 miles away and have not been down there for a couple of years so don't know who does the satellite stuff.

Blue

Legendary Member
'Morning all :hello:

Does time exist? Is it merely a construct of humans? Though, it's a useful thing if you like to waste it.:smile:

When men in uniforms of any sort have appeared outside my home I have always just gone and asked them what they were doing - they have always told me. The answer has always been quite boring:laugh:

We didn't get any sun yesterday but the rain did stop in the afternoon and we got our 2 walks done. We met one of the cats who visited a week or so back and he followed us home and came in for a while before settling on a windowsill outside. It was Mrs B enjoyed that very much.:smile:

Top Bottom