Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
OK, the new house has a few shrubs and bushes at the back so secateurs are required. May even need a mini saw to cut away some deadwood.

Any suggestions, apart from something cheap and cheerful from Amazon.

Saw a set on Amazon earlier and am wondering if they are any good. The 'Fakespot' site says the reviews contain minimal deception
Davaon Pro Secateurs Set + Pruning Saw With Pro Ratchet + Ergonomic Bypass + Pruning Saw - Less Effort Comfort Garden Pruners & Saw Best For Pruning Plants Hedges Trees - Strong Sharp: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning all:hello:
Fair windy out there, missed the light breezes:blush:

It was the oldest sprog..
no, that was the newest member of the clan...
has worked out well, as we are 15 mins from everybody instead of a hour plus depending on traffic, 2 hr teatime runs were the norm and that was avoiding the worst:ohmy:, morning was 105 on average, normal traffic an hour...
a move was the best idea plus we are much, much closer to other family.
Mind you haven't seen them that often due to you know what..
Owdo

Is it the eldest or the youngest that you're blaming then.

Did you ever consider getting a tandem. Cycling the same route can be quicker than using a car. Especially when traffic gets heavy.

Or go off on the rails!
Railbike.jpg

Blue

Legendary Member
Owdo

We've the sun here as well.

How heavy a piece are you looking at having to cut. And do you a Wilkinsons nearby.
No such shop here.

Some of the bushes look dead to me and the trunks would be wrist thick - I think they will be cut, dig and replace jobs. Others look like they may be OK with a bit of a trim to twigs/stems.

I haven't tried to delve too deeply but one side of the garden has a fence with a very thick growth of ivy that I'm sure will have ruined the fence and it has also bridged over to the tops of a couple of bushes. I think that the bushes may be OK if I cut the ivy away so that they can recover from it's influence. The ivy is a heavy woody growth.

It's 17 years since I last did any gardening and I didn't possess any skill before that so I'm working in the dark. If our own sale goes through I may just make it easy on myself and have a professional in. If our sale is delayed I'll be spending on the major house projects and trying to save on the decorating and gardening costs by doing quick fixes myself.

classic33

Leg End Member
No such shop here.

Some of the bushes look dead to me and the trunks would be wrist thick - I think they will be cut, dig and replace jobs. Others look like they may be OK with a bit of a trim to twigs/stems.

I haven't tried to delve too deeply but one side of the garden has a fence with a very thick growth of ivy that I'm sure will have ruined the fence and it has also bridged over to the tops of a couple of bushes. I think that the bushes may be OK if I cut the ivy away so that they can recover from it's influence. The ivy is a heavy woody growth.

It's 17 years since I last did any gardening and I didn't possess any skill before that so I'm working in the dark. If our own sale goes through I may just make it easy on myself and have a professional in. If our sale is delayed I'll be spending on the major house projects and trying to save on the decorating and gardening costs by doing quick fixes myself.
Wilkos?
Bushman* can be got for as little as £10. One bought years ago is still in use now.
Secateurs for around £5.

Any chance of borrowing a sickle for attacking the ivy?

*Replacement blades are nearly as much.

Blue

Legendary Member
Is that so the neighbours don't see your "lack" of skill?
Oh I don't mind being seen, I lack any sense of shame as well as gardening skills. My attitude to any comments from others has always been along the lines of :tongue:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
OK, the new house has a few shrubs and bushes at the back so secateurs are required. May even need a mini saw to cut away some deadwood.

Any suggestions, apart from something cheap and cheerful from Amazon.

Saw a set on Amazon earlier and am wondering if they are any good. The 'Fakespot' site says the reviews contain minimal deception
Davaon Pro Secateurs Set + Pruning Saw With Pro Ratchet + Ergonomic Bypass + Pruning Saw - Less Effort Comfort Garden Pruners & Saw Best For Pruning Plants Hedges Trees - Strong Sharp: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Sorry, never noticed this:blush:
Too busy playing radio:ohmy:
I can say I'm a retired pro at this game..
chainsaw the feckers to the ground:laugh:

Tons of guides online, I can advise with any photies of problem shrubs....
I'm just not very good with their names
just say..
most bushes prune the same and it's getting to the optimal pruning time....

You can pick up them slightly cheaper but once you factor in petrol, time etc but are the reviews of the pruning saw any good?
some of these are sharp as h and some are made of butter, if you catch my drift....
problem is some leave a rough cut finish, small bow saw could be an answer?
the hand secateurs are bog standard and are in my opinion the best type, don't fall for these fancy dan ones they have brought out and one thing, all the old traditional names you knew were quality are all buying trash stuff from abroad and putting their names on it.

Screwfix or Toolstation not sell these tools?
Edit to add..

Ivy, check the fence wood as if covered in ivy it could have 'dried' the wood out and it basically just crumbles depending on the age and ivy coverage. Take the ivy back to ground level, dig it out or if cutting the ivy back to ground level let if it leaf next spring and an occasional treatment with glyphosate based weedkiller (spray the leaves) will eventually kill the root system which can be substantial.. just take care with weedkiller...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I had sun, rain, sun and monsoon rain then sun again on my short out today.
I texted ahead for old towels to be left in the garage,
My jacket and I were caked in muck and stuff..
From the front I was spotless:ohmy:
I had to quickly hose down before I got let in:laugh:
Loved it:okay:
You should have been made stand outside whilst being hosed down, then had the towel passed to you, before you were allowed in.

Good to see you enjoyed yourself though.

Top Bottom