Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
giphy.gif

Yawn..
only kidding, busy :ohmy:
I don't know, it'll be time to head back thataway soon.
Young In duty again?

Airwaves quiet?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I don't know, it'll be time to head back thataway soon.
Young In duty again?

Airwaves quiet?
Aye, will be..
Wee fella started nursery today^_^
came to us after his introductory hour..
Granda exhausted...

Nah, reasonably busy mid Europe and beyond on some bands tonight, not my night, 20 odd contacts logged during the day..
4Z4 best distance today..
oh,
off to log up for the day

classic33

Leg End Member
Aye, will be..
Wee fella started nursery today^_^
came to us after his introductory hour..
Granda exhausted...

Nah, reasonably busy mid Europe and beyond on some bands tonight, not my night, 20 odd contacts logged during the day..
4Z4 best distance today...
oh,
off to log up for the day
You'll not be sent to your room as often now then. You'll know when you've to go.
Granda needs refreshments.

Your logging up to date and in order?

Sithi

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Morning all:hello:
Took out a magazine subscription yesterday..
why can they slash the price for 'Black Friday' ?

You'll not be sent to your room as often now then. You'll know when you've to go.
Granda needs refreshments.

Your logging up to date and in order?

Sithi
Logs all present and correct,
takes me a min of 10 mins each night, log up and upload backups to the cloud..

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning all:hello:
Took out a magazine subscription yesterday..
why can they slash the price for 'Black Friday' ?

Logs all present and correct,
takes me a min of 10 mins each night, log up and upload backups to the cloud..
Owdo
Oh aye, you only got it for the pictures that'll be in them. Nothing on and showing what you'd normally not see. As for the circuit diagrams...
Catch those that might buy it if it were on the shelves, cutting out a few in the middle they don't have to pay. T'is odd though, yer right.

Logs okay. Card's?
Put the young 'un on stamp licking duty.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Owdo
Oh aye, you only got it for the pictures that'll be in them. Nothing on and showing what you'd normally not see. As for the circuit diagrams...
Catch those that might buy it if it were on the shelves, cutting out a few in the middle they don't have to pay. T'is odd though, yer right.

Logs okay. Card's?
Put the young 'un on stamp licking duty.
Cards are all done through the 'bureau',
I send the call manager 6 stamped addressed envelopes and every so often I'll get them back, I better get going as I have replacements to send.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Cards are all done through the 'bureau',
I send the call manager 6 stamped addressed envelopes and every so often I'll get them back, I better get going as I have replacements to send.
You send out empty envelopes to a third party, who then forwards them onto the correct party?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You send out empty envelopes to a third party, who then forwards them onto the correct party?
I send return cards to main bureau ( darn sarff)
they send to all the bureaus worldwide,
cards arrive in the UK then get sorted then distributed to each call manager who then fill the SAE sand post them out.
UK bureau processes 1.5 million cards per year...

classic33

Leg End Member
I send return cards to main bureau ( darn sarff)
they send to all the bureaus worldwide,
cards arrive in the UK then get sorted then distributed to each call manager who then fill the SAE sand post them out.
UK bureau processes 1.5 million cards per year...
Is this correct?
You contact/make contact over the airwaves. Taking only the callsign as contact details.
Card filled in, log entry made.
You then send the card(s), darn south, to be forwarded on to the person contacted.
They're then sent worldwide.
Same system works makes certain you receive your card.

If this is correct, why do you need all the envelopes, and who pays the postage?

Is there any actual talking over the airwaves these days. Other than in code.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Is this correct?
You contact/make contact over the airwaves. Taking only the callsign as contact details.
Card filled in, log entry made.
You then send the card(s), darn south, to be forwarded on to the person contacted.
They're then sent worldwide.
Same system works makes certain you receive your card.

If this is correct, why do you need all the envelopes, and who pays the postage?

Is there any actual talking over the airwaves these days. Other than in code.
Plenty
here's mine this year so far..:laugh:
me 21.jpg

Phone is voice modes..
Data suits me,
I don't much power ( 20 watts max, I can use 400:ohmy:) and my antenna is not one of these big tower type things, more a bit of wire in the loft (home made)^_^
a game of knowing how to read propagation and being in the right place at the right time,
I could make 5 figures no problem if I wanted, 22 in the log so far today (All Europe today, spotted as far away as VK land)
I only send cards for countries needed, I use the hobby standard Logbook of the World (ARRL) the bulk use this to confirm contacts, probably over 60% confirm this method, eQSL is an electronic card exchange 40-50% and upload to QRZ.com and get 50% confirmed, I use two cloud places to back everything up, complex :laugh:

Example,
I receive say 40 cards,
I log and print labels and stick them on each card.
I then package the 40 cards and send them to the main bureau..
my cost.
they batch cards for the various worldwide countries and send off the batches when it is feasible and cost efficient, the reverse happens say Germany batch up any UK cards and send them to the RSGB bureau where volunteers separate them into the various lots for each QSL manager, they send out a batch to the bloke who does mine who covers any GM4 -GM8 callsigns, we send SAEs and they fill and send when it reaches a certain amount of cards, say average 20 per envelope.
All part of the membership fees which are £41 per year, various services plus a monthly colour magazine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Plenty
here's mine this year so far..:laugh:
View attachment 619174
Phone is voice modes..
Data suits me,
I don't much power ( 20 watts max, I can use 400:ohmy:) and my antenna is not one of these big tower type things, more a bit of wire in the loft (home made)^_^
a game of knowing how to read propagation and being in the right place at the right time,
I could make 5 figures no problem if I wanted, 22 in the log so far today (All Europe today, spotted as far away as VK land)
I only send cards for countries needed, I use the hobby standard Logbook of the World (ARRL) the bulk use this to confirm contacts, probably over 60% confirm this method, eQSL is an electronic card exchange 40-50% and upload to QRZ.com and get 50% confirmed, I use two cloud places to back everything up, complex :laugh:

Example,
I receive say 40 cards,
I log and print labels and stick them on each card.
I then package the 40 cards and send them to the main bureau..
my cost.
they batch cards for the various worldwide countries and send off the batches when it is feasible and cost efficient, the reverse happens say Germany batch up any UK cards and send them to the RSGB bureau where volunteers separate them into the various lots for each QSL manager, they send out a batch to the bloke who does mine who covers any GM4 -GM8 callsigns, we send SAEs and they fill and send when it reaches a certain amount of cards, say average 20 per envelope.
All part of the membership fees which are £41 per year, various services plus a monthly colour magazine.
That amount of paperwork, for what I feel is an audio hobby, would put me off entirely. Maybe I'm old fashioned, and expect to speak to the person on the other end. Completely changed since I was last on the air.

If it keeps you happy, who am I to knock it.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That amount of paperwork, for what I feel is an audio hobby, would put me off entirely. Maybe I'm old fashioned, and expect to speak to the person on the other end. Completely changed since I was last on the air.

If it keeps you happy, who am I to knock it.
I can still talk to someone and once its over its over,
even then its callsign, signal reports then 73.
Language can be a difficult thing.
I still have to log contacts, the old logging requirements were heavy going.
I must give my callsign at least every 15 mins but I do it every two or three overs if I'm on voice.
I just do the courtesy thing and send a return card.
My cards out are in the tens at most.
The logging was mostly as a record but any interference could be traced by checking the nearby amateurs log.
If I lost the file of all my contacts, it wouldn't be the end of the world,
how would I remember ?
I did a SOTA activation last Sunday from a hill in the Pentlands, 10 contacts on voice that day.

Keeps me busy...

classic33

Leg End Member
I can still talk to someone and once its over its over,
even then its callsign, signal reports then 73.
Language can be a difficult thing.
I still have to log contacts, the old logging requirements were heavy going.
I must give my callsign at least every 15 mins but I do it every two or three overs if I'm on voice.
I just do the courtesy thing and send a return card.
My cards out are in the tens at most.
The logging was mostly as a record but any interference could be traced by checking the nearby amateurs log.
If I lost the file of all my contacts, it wouldn't be the end of the world,
how would I remember ?
I did a SOTA activation last Sunday from a hill in the Pentlands, 10 contacts on voice that day.

Keeps me busy...
Keeps you busy is right!

No regulars that you keep on getting, or do you seek out fresh hits?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Good morning:hello:
Dentist trip later:sad:
Keeps you busy is right!

No regulars that you keep on getting, or do you seek out fresh hits?
One of the applications I use lets me know the status of the caller, I have different colours for each eventuallity
green denotes not worked before
yellow, a new country
light blue denotes worked before on another band or mode
it discerns between mode and band, say I work a DL5??? on 14 mhz on FT8 first time,
he shows green,
next time I work him on 20mhz FT8 he is light blue
ditto on sat FT4 light blue,
pretty clever program, eh
It all links to an ADIF file (I back this up every night).

Screendump
Screenshot 2021-11-25 102431.jpg

No colour means they are in QSO but note the wee colour splodge next to the country..
I called and worked the light blue OM5 station, Slovak so now he is that burnt orange colour.
Logging program shows I have worked him 5 times on five frequencies (or bands),
technology can be amazing.
The possibility is I can work him countless times depending on bands and modes.
I think I must have worked most of Europe:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning:hello:
Dentist trip later:sad:

One of the applications I use lets me know the status of the caller, I have different colours for each eventuallity
green denotes not worked before
yellow, a new country
light blue denotes worked before on another band or mode
it discerns between mode and band, say I work a DL5??? on 14 mhz on FT8 first time,
he shows green,
next time I work him on 20mhz FT8 he is light blue
ditto on sat FT4 light blue,
pretty clever program, eh
It all links to an ADIF file (I back this up every night).

Screendump
View attachment 619266
No colour means they are in QSO but note the wee colour splodge next to the country..
I called and worked the light blue OM5 station, Slovak so now he is that burnt orange colour.
Logging program shows I have worked him 5 times on five frequencies (or bands),
technology can be amazing.
The possibility is I can work him countless times depending on bands and modes.
I think I must have worked most of Europe:laugh:
Owdo
Hope the trip, and subsequent extraction, went okay with no lasting pain(Or more than to be expected).

That'd put me off, but possibly make it easier in some ways. I always thought it was a case of actually talking to each other. Seems as though counting contacts did take over after all.

It's been an odd sort of day...

Top Bottom