Teaching an adult to ride a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
TBH, if an adult doesn't drive (The OP didn't say) and has never ridden a bike I'd never take the responsibility of persuading them to let loose on public roads wobbling about on two wheels, especially in a new country where they are completely out of the loop regards traffic behaviour.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I haven't broached it yet, waiting for a calm moment and considering my words carefully so as to not add stress or pressure.I'd put her on my MTB (step through, smaller than she would usually ride) so she can put her feet down very easily. I'll report back if and when we ever give it a shot.

Excellent idea. Don't forget that when we learn a new skill all kinds of extras come with it, not least the sense of achievement, especially in a difficult situation: "I'm not just surviving, I'm learning new things, I can (as it were) move forwards" can make a massive difference to someone's self esteem, and open them up to trying other skills and new experiences.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
TBH, if an adult doesn't drive (The OP didn't say) and has never ridden a bike I'd never take the responsibility of persuading them to let loose on public roads wobbling about on two wheels, especially in a new country where they are completely out of the loop regards traffic behaviour.

She can drive although you make a good point about it not being driving in the UK. Luckily we live in the countryside so a good place for her to learn.

Haven't broached it yet - it's not been the time.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. I haven't broached it yet, waiting for a calm moment and considering my words carefully so as to not add stress or pressure.I'd put her on my MTB (step through, smaller than she would usually ride) so she can put her feet down very easily. I'll report back if and when we ever give it a shot.
Sounds like a good choice of bike. I used a dahon folder when I tried to teach Mrs Geo. She was able to scoot it with the saddle right down like those kids balance bikes. We then raised the saddle so she could try and pedal. One thing I’d not expected was how unnatural she found sitting on a saddle.

I see your point, but if the person is over 18 they are taking responsibility. All @Cathryn is responsible for is preparing and what she teaches.

It's important to give this responsibility to the client because it shows trust ("you can handle this.") and that they have some control over the situation, because if a person is responsible for something, they are able to make their own decisions.

This doesn't mean a pep talk or sending people off into traffic; it could mean starting in a traffic free area, then when they are balanced, saying "I think you may be ready to try pedals, let me know when you want to give it a go and I'll show you how to put them on the bike." Then when that's done, and they're riding and have control of the bike, which may take a while, the trainer can say "You're really doing well, let me know when you feel ready to ride a bit further and we'll talk about traffic rules here so you're safe."

At every stage the trainer is encouraging and making it clear that the person is ready to try something new, and leaving the decision, and therefore the responsibility, to the person being trained. Feelings of powerlessness to control their own life and perceived lack of decision making ability is common among refugees, so this could be the most valuable part of the training.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd wait to be asked rather than suggesting. I have no idea what Cathryn's refugee guests are like, but perhaps they would feel under pressure to start cycling to please their host without really wanting to.

I'd start by mentioning how glad I was to have a bicycle as it is so convenient living where I do and see if they express an interest.

Depends on the person. Some will ask, others will hold back, maybe they've never considered cycling or were told they "can't" do it (it's unbelievable what people, -teachers- tell children they "can't do") and expressing the belief they can, could make a big difference.

Either way, you can't break anything if you suggest it, (when you feel the time is right) and say they can come back to you; every time you go into town on a bike you are reminding them of that possibility, and every time you fix the bike you're showing how achievable it is, but you aren't then putting pressure on the person, just offering a possibility.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whichever route she takes, good luck to Cathryn anyway and well done for helping those people escape from an appalling situation.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Update!!

I didn't push it at all, just waited till what seemed like the right moment and this evening, she casually mentioned cycling so I casually suggested we had a go and she demurred and I asked why not and she grinned, dashed off to get changed and off we went. Everyone else in the household was out, no one would be watching, it was a very safe environment to give it a go.

I put her on my MTB - she's much taller than me so she could easily reach the ground (I know some people will say that was the wrong bike, but there we go). Firstly, we took the bike for a walk up and down our cul-de-sac so she could try braking and see how strong they were, and slowly get used to braking more gently. Then she hopped on and scooted up and down the street a few times. It became apparent that she wasn't a total beginner as she was scooting within minutes and was able to glide quite well. And then, without me even suggesting it, she started pedalling slowly and carefully! She did a few lengths of our street and we called it quits, whilst everyone was still triumphant and laughing.

So that's tonight's little moment of joy!!!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Update. Tonight. After dinner.

'Are you busy or do you have ten minutes to ride bikes again?' (HER, not me).
Me: puts down work immediately and heads to the garage.

Tonight was a mile ride through the village. Wobbly and with some veering into the hedges but no emergencies. We practised starting off on hills, she learned to click through gears. She cruised through the village, up the little hill, turned around and cruised home. BIG smiles.

This is happening!

Top Bottom