Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Same in mine.
FYM has some that looks similar. They state that "We can develop customer design version", so it's probably a Bkool version.
http://www.fym-motor.com/mm-pm-stepper-motor-20.html

I think that is the one.
You could just contact them and ask them to make one like the BKool one.
The whole Pt No probably defines exactly that.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
So in that case I'll stick my fan heater on full whack aimed at the turbo and have a cooling fan for myself.
Not sure how much a small rise in temperature would have, but at least we know why @AAAC 76C does so well... it must be all that hot air :heat:

A drop on temperature that will reduce the electrical resistance so does that increase the braking effect or increase is.
Who knows.

Last edited:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
A drop on temperature that will reduce the resistance so does that increase the braking effect or increase is.
Who knows.
The main effect is on the resistance of the wire that is used in the motor, rather than on the strength of the magnetic field. Strangely, metals can be effected both positively or negatively depending on the material.
the only way of knowing is to test it. I'll try on Wednesday by sticking the fan heater on the turbo.
Edit. If it works I'll post on our nations cup page, can't give away any advantage!

Last edited:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
The main effect is on the resistance of the wire that is used in the motor, rather than on the strength of the magnetic field. Strangely, metals can be effected both positively or negatively depending on the material.
the only way of knowing is to test it. I'll try on Wednesday by sticking the fan heater on the turbo.
Edit. If it works I'll post on our nations cup page, can't give away any advantage!

That may not be a great idea with the watts that you produce DP - Add to that a heater and the thing might just go pop....

AAAC 76C

Large Member
I found this on line, very interesting too:
"Abstract:
An enhanced polynomial-based parametric model of an eddy current electric machine for automotive braking applications has been introduced in this paper. The parametric model captures the steady state torque-speed-current characteristics of the eddy current brake. A two-stage estimation process has been introduced to identify the coefficients of the retarder model from experimental data through a least square type algorithm. The model is then validated via on-vehicle test data. A controller to generate eddy current machine command can be designed using the proposed parametric model which could be computationally more efficient."

AAAC 76C

Large Member

There are no wires in a Eddy Current Brake set up other than those associated with driving the stepper motor, the performance of which won't be impacted by the local operating temperature.
The question is will the heat generated with in the conductive plate on the flywheel increase or decrease the braking effect.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I found this on line, very interesting too:
"Abstract:
An enhanced polynomial-based parametric model of an eddy current electric machine for automotive braking applications has been introduced in this paper. The parametric model captures the steady state torque-speed-current characteristics of the eddy current brake. A two-stage estimation process has been introduced to identify the coefficients of the retarder model from experimental data through a least square type algorithm. The model is then validated via on-vehicle test data. A controller to generate eddy current machine command can be designed using the proposed parametric model which could be computationally more efficient."
If the heater works and I can hit 88 Mph whilst creating 1.21 gigawatt I may be able to finish the stage before I even start...
Edit. I'll also have to listen to Huey Lewis and the News whilst riding...

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
If the heater works and I can hit 88 Mph whilst creating 1.21 gigawatt I may be able to finish the stage before I even start...

A vision of lightning, wires and a DeLorean spring to mind!

The control of the time machine is the same in all three films. The operator is seated inside the DeLorean (except the first time, when a remote control is used), and turns on the time circuits, activating a unit containing multiple fourteen- and seven-segment displays that show the destination (red), present (green), and last-departed (yellow) dates and times. After entering a target date, the operator accelerates the car to 88 miles per hour (141.6 km/h), which activates the flux capacitor. As it accelerates, several coils around the body glow blue/white while a burst of light appears in front of it. Surrounded by electrical current similar to a Tesla coil, the whole car vanishes in a flash of white/blue light seconds later, leaving a pair of fiery tire tracks. A digital speedometer is attached to the dashboard so that the operator can accurately gauge the car's speed. Various proposals have been brought forth in the past by fans of the movie franchise for why the car has to be moving at 88 mph to achieve temporal displacement,[1] but actually the production crew chose the velocity simply because they liked how it looked on the speedometer.[1]

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Been feeling grot all week. Not ridden since last Sunday. Did the WC10 tonight and feel even worse now. I actually think I've died and this is the nervous reflex typing this. Time of 1hr 44 secs should be easy enough for most tail enders to better. Be warned though, those 2 hills are nasty; the first one is 10%+ all the way up :heat:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
A vision of lightning, wires and a DeLorean spring to mind!

The control of the time machine is the same in all three films. The operator is seated inside the DeLorean (except the first time, when a remote control is used), and turns on the time circuits, activating a unit containing multiple fourteen- and seven-segment displays that show the destination (red), present (green), and last-departed (yellow) dates and times. After entering a target date, the operator accelerates the car to 88 miles per hour (141.6 km/h), which activates the flux capacitor. As it accelerates, several coils around the body glow blue/white while a burst of light appears in front of it. Surrounded by electrical current similar to a Tesla coil, the whole car vanishes in a flash of white/blue light seconds later, leaving a pair of fiery tire tracks. A digital speedometer is attached to the dashboard so that the operator can accurately gauge the car's speed. Various proposals have been brought forth in the past by fans of the movie franchise for why the car has to be moving at 88 mph to achieve temporal displacement,[1] but actually the production crew chose the velocity simply because they liked how it looked on the speedometer.[1]
It's OK @AAAC 76C I wasn't being serious...

BILL S

Guru
Been feeling grot all week. Not ridden since last Sunday. Did the WC10 tonight and feel even worse now. I actually think I've died and this is the nervous reflex typing this. Time of 1hr 44 secs should be easy enough for most tail enders to better. Be warned though, those 2 hills are nasty; the first one is 10%+ all the way up :heat:

Agreed Whorty. That WC stage 10 is a nasty one. Just did it myself tonight and found those two hills to be bl00dy hard. The ghosts I challenged left me for dead on those hills and I hardly caught them up on the flats. Fortunately it was the top 4 that I challenged so all in all, happy enough with my time and placing. Of course the big boys still haven't put their times in so I'll be flying down the leaderboard soon enough.

Top Bottom