Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Carl, you may find you get stronger quicker than you might have done on the Pro. You will have to dig a bit deeper to achieve the power and speeds you are used but I do think a direct drive gives some advantage not least because you can shift about more, get out of the saddle without wheel slip etc. You will find it easier, after a while, to activate and develop climbing muscles and almost certainly easier to sprint effectively. It’s all good.
I also want to train properly for hills as the Pro cuts out at about 9% for me, so I couldn't properly train for the DD last year and when I hit those 20% inclines I just wasn't ready for them. Hopefully the Kickr will let me prepare myself better.

Will save on tyres and inner tubes too :tongue:

Whorty

That was a good race! Glad to watch! :cheers:
Definitely come and join the fun next time :okay: I'd say, you'll love it, but it's so painful racing that maybe 'love' is too strong a word :biggrin:

Whorty

That is a new definition of the word "good" that I am not familiar with!!! Eff Me! i'm Eff'd!
It was fun to watch. Shame I couldn't make it to ride tonight but I think you guys would have dropped me early anyway.

Superb riding between @bridgy and @CXRAndy ..... add @AAAC 76C to that train and the NC team will have a string chance of working together and getting a good result. Some good work with you, Bill, Per and Keith too. Hard to say just yet who is going to get in the team .... still all to play for :okay:

Whorty

What I've been told, is to get it onto the 13 tooth ring for the start, then as the timer hits zero go off like a mad thing dropping down the gears to the 11 as quickly as you can. The reasson being is that the SIM doesn't apply the resistance as quickly as you should, so you get a good few watts for 'free' ... of course after 30 seconds you need to maintain that to stay with the front group

Yeah, I'm running a compact 50/34 and could probably do with a 53 ...

I know I didn't do my fair share, I just wanted to hang on to you two once I caught you again, I know I couldn't have done that again. Kudos for that sprint finish, Another 20 meters and I think I could have caught you ... although I was fading over the line :biggrin:
You had a monster effort to bridge the gap to Bill and Per .... I wasn't sure you was going to make it as the time ticked on but you just kept the power and so massive :okay: for that effort.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
With that handle you are perfect for the Team.
I was thinking of changing mine back to my College nickname, "Bung".
Bridgy could be "Fridgy".
Who else is in the frame for a beery name change?

@CXRAndy should be good for the Nations Cup then by the look of that ride! Great effort from both of you at the front... the speed and watts were pretty incredible...

"CSBAndy"

perswe

Über Member
What I've been told, is to get it onto the 13 tooth ring for the start, then as the timer hits zero go off like a mad thing dropping down the gears to the 11 as quickly as you can. The reasson being is that the SIM doesn't apply the resistance as quickly as you should, so you get a good few watts for 'free' ... of course after 30 seconds you need to maintain that to stay with the front group

Yeah, I'm running a compact 50/34 and could probably do with a 53 ...

I know I didn't do my fair share, I just wanted to hang on to you two once I caught you again, I know I couldn't have done that again. Kudos for that sprint finish, Another 20 meters and I think I could have caught you ... although I was fading over the line :biggrin:

Great tip! I think that is also where the issue of the chainring comes into play. Sporting a 48/34 myself with a 25/12 cassette (why on earth...you ask...well i'm riding my cx-bike which was fitted with gears probably not appropriate for downhills and bkool-speed flats...but it helps me uphill though). Well, this problem is quite easily solved :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was an amazing catch! And yes I saw you coming behind me pretty fast...with me out of gears and out of legs I felt like an "easy" target had the finish line been only some meters further away.

I find it's difficult timing the drafting wisely on bkool to miximise the benefit for those involved. Easy to get too far ahead or behind

CXRAndy

Guru
I’m going to have a go Sunday if you fancy some company.

What time were you thinking of Tommy?

I suspect the racing on Zwift May have helped too .

I agree, also building a larger endurance base with multi hour rides. A combination of high intensity and endurance with regular routine really has helped.

peterob

Veteran
I should add that a bigger chainring wouldn't have made a lick of difference yesterday...there was no way I would have been able to go faster and maintain a higher speed

Up until a few weeks ago I had a top gear of 52/14 and was spinning out far too quickly on the flatter/downhill sections. I'm now running 52/11 which is a lot better (although not necessarily being reflected in my times :rolleyes:)

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
What time were you thinking of Tommy?

I agree, also building a larger endurance base with multi hour rides. A combination of high intensity and endurance with regular routine really has helped.

If I remember you were rehabbing an injury when we first started racing eachother a couple of years ago. Now I see you mentioning bigger chainrings, and of course big power. It’s all positive signs mate. You’ve impressed me a lot the last few weeks, and on a personal level it gives me something to aim for. As well as giving the likes of AAAC and Bridgy cause to look over their shoulders!

Cambridge looks like it’s going to be brilliant too! I see lots of great drafting ahead. @Add, have you thought about signing up? Could be something to aim for.

bridgy

Legendary Member

Biggest gear from the start - even on an uphill start - and hold it as long as you can before the resistance kicks in :okay:

All online races - including on zwift - seem to start with a mad sprint. It's a bit pointless really because everyone of a similar ability ends up neautralizing each other pretty soon, but I guess it's one of those things that you can't afford not to do because you know everyone else will and you don't want to be dropped right from the start. It took me several months of Bkool racing until I could stay with the leaders at the start, and several more months until I could stay with them for most of the race (usually!)

Top Bottom