Tech advice...Brompton M6L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I'm not sure Brompton do a good job of facing the head tube and fork crown at the factory, since this is the usual reason for a headset not being able to be adjusted properly. (...)

Add it to the list of Brompton design faults they still haven't fixed after 30 years...
A headset that constantly loosens itself is often a sign that the head tube and fork need facing properly. Any decent bike shop can do it. It should be done at the factory but I suspect it isn't.
You repeat yourself. Do you have any evidence for your claim or is it just your usual Brompton-hate? Judging from this thread:
- The OP had the issue once and has not reported back, so probably solved.
- Kell had the issue constantly for years. Caused by the fact that he "tightened" the headset with his fingers instead of using a spanner
- I reported that I know the issue from many new Bromptons that need retightening the headset once or twice over the first couple of 100kms - not a tragedy in my eyes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A headset that needs retightening after use is an improperly fitted headset. It isn't acceptable on any bike, let alone a £1000 one. Maybe it's necessary on a headset fitted with a lump hammer and a block of wood in the shed. I own a Brompton, have done for 11 years (I've had a couple more as resto projects along the way which I eventually sold on) so I'm not a Brompton-hater but nor am I an apologist or fan-boy.

OP
OP
FolderBeholder

FolderBeholder

I started reading this thread as it was brought to my attention via the forum software‘s “alert” feature of activity, which brought me directly to It’s most recent posts. Then I realized I was the thread-starter! LOL

Today is Aug 11, 2020 and after the initial re-adjustment and tightening of the headset I originally posted about waaay back when....I’ve never had to give it a second thought (well, listen to a second complaint from the Missus about it is actually a more accurate description) and we ride our Bromptons quite regularly and still adore them.

Hopefully that info will give “Ridesafe” hope for the same issue experiencing on their new Brompton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom