Tech help - smart phone altimeters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've used Strava since it began over here. It's always pinpointed me accurately enough. So I can see which side of the road I'm on etc.
Why would you need to be more accurate than that ?
As mentioned in my other thread; regarding cycling along a completely flat canal towpath but the elevation graph is anything but flat because the GPS isn't accurate enough to pinpoint my location on the towpath...

...so the bit where i cross the Lune Aqueduct (in blue) shows my altitude drop from around 25 meters to 5 meters. It thinks I'm fording the river rather than crossing a bridge.

The section between the purple markers on the elevation graph is a five mile section of the Lancaster canal which is dead flat. No bridges, No locks. Just a flat towpath about a foot above the water. Whilst I don't need it to be super accurate, I'd like it to be. I'd like to see a dead flat line on that elevation graph :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As mentioned in my other thread; regarding cycling along a completely flat canal towpath but the elevation graph is anything but flat because the GPS isn't accurate enough to pinpoint my location on the towpath...

View attachment 627412
...so the bit where i cross the Lune Aqueduct (in blue) shows my altitude drop from around 25 meters to 5 meters. It thinks I'm fording the river rather than crossing a bridge.

The section between the purple markers on the elevation graph is a five mile section of the Lancaster canal which is dead flat. No bridges, No locks. Just a flat towpath about a foot above the water. Whilst I don't need it to be super accurate, I'd like it to be. I'd like to see a dead flat line on that elevation graph :okay:

What have you plotted that altitude graph in? If it’s Strava itself then it will have corrected the gps elevation data unless your gps also has a barometer built in. You can’t necessarily blame that elevation plot on what the gps recorded. The gps itself has no concept of the aqueduct , it just knows how far it is from a number of gps satellites.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Why do you need to know? If your feet are wet you're too low or it's raining and if you're not breathing properly you're too high.

View attachment 627412

Just mess around with the axes then. I can't see how you can get anything more accurate than that.

If you're going uphills it would show up fine on the graph.
It's just because you're not doing any climbs that the errors on gps show up so much.

If you stretched out the distance or time to more accurately represent the long distance - the altitude would appear flat.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

If you stretched out the distance or time to more accurately represent the long distance - the altitude would appear flat.
If it's not showing flat after five miles, and not showing flat after ten miles, i can't imagine it showing flat on longer distances... why would it?

Alex321

Veteran
If it's not showing flat after five miles, and not showing flat after ten miles, i can't imagine it showing flat on longer distances... why would it?
I don't think that is what he meant. He meant stretch out the graph, so that 10 miles (or 32 minutes) covers more than the few inches you have it at.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I don't think that is what he meant. He meant stretch out the graph, so that 10 miles (or 32 minutes) covers more than the few inches you have it at.
yet the high points and low points (ignoring the river crossing) still vary between 18m and 27m above sea level, that's 9m or almost 30ft.. a canal with no bridges, no locks, no up and downy bits at all, just a towpath about 12-15" above the water line, really cannot undulate by 30ft.

yet the high points and low points (ignoring the river crossing) still vary between 18m and 27m above sea level, that's 9m or almost 30ft.. a canal with no bridges, no locks, no up and downy bits at all, just a towpath about 12-15" above the water line, really cannot undulate by 30ft.
It doesn't undulate that much but I don't know of any tech that's more accurate than a Garmin or phone for altitude.

You know it's flattish. Just don't look closely at the graph.

Top Bottom