Tech Question - Internet Connection Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Several days ago we started to get random disconnects to the Internet. The speed also dropped to just a few Mb/s.
Doing the usual troubleshooting revealed no fault with our equipment, but we had no dial tone ( the internet was still connecting sporadically)
Doing a speed test told us that our ISP was “ TalkTalk “ although we have FTTC with Zen Internet. Mrs Tenkaykev tried to set a recording on our YouView box yesterday evening, and the “ Splash Screen” again reported TalkTalk as being our ISP. I’ve reported the issue to Zen and they’ve acknowledged an external fault which should be fixed by tomorrow evening.
I’m curious as to the origin of the fault and wondered if any technical people could hazard a guess as to what’s going on.

Dolorous Edd

No dial tone suggests there is a problem with the copper connection between the green cabinet and your home, which carries both voice and internet.

As long as Zen are responding to your problem, I wouldn't worry about your reported ISP being TalkTalk. There is a huge web of transfer arrangements at the wholesale level which leads to all sorts of 'porting' from one provider to another.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not the same problem but my ipad has stopped sending emails. It would appear from looking at google that this may be a fairly recent and common problem. There is a fix somewhere but I am not too sure about using it and in any case the examples given seem to refer to newer models and not everything matches.
Any body else had this problem and fixed it ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes, happened after a recent update.
Restarted iPad and router, all work ok after restart.
The router works ok on my other machines so no problem there but you mean reboot rather than restart?
That is what makes me nervous as passwords are required which never seems to work too well for me. I do have them written down but it does not always help.

Over the Ord

The router works ok on my other machines so no problem there but you mean reboot rather than restart?
That is what makes me nervous as passwords are required which never seems to work too well for me. I do have them written down but it does not always help.

No reboot, I just restarted both.
I restarted the iPad as the router worked ok with other iPad (newer model) and the laptop, I then switched of the power to the router wait and switch it back on.

13 rider

Guru
At lot of smaller Comms providers sub let exchange equipments from the larger players so you are probably connected to Talk talk equipment although you pay Zen . No dial and slower speed suggest 1 of the pair of wires is broken which will stop dial tone but broadband sort of goes round the wires so will work over just 1 wire but not too it's potential. Or the no dial tone could be before the green box which is were your broadband gets added . Expect a call from an openreach (bt) engineer who will be dealing with the fault

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No reboot, I just restarted both.
I restarted the iPad as the router worked ok with other iPad (newer model) and the laptop, I then switched of the power to the router wait and switch it back on.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I eventually got it working by deleting both my email accounts and redoing them. Fingers firmly crossed but the gmail one was a bit of a fight. Never touched the router as the other machines were all working ok.

Top Bottom