technical knowledge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeruss

hi, i need to set up the front and rear derailures on my giant defy 5, the chain is slipping when i am moving into higher gears on the small ring at the front, i adjusted the tensioner on the rear derailier until it seems ok, then when i moved into the big ring on the front it was doing the same again on the rear. i have removed the crank arm to clean the bottom bracket will this be the problem? i do want solve the pronlem myself so i am not going to pay a shop every time something needs fixing, or am i better off taking to a shop

subaqua

What’s the point

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1gSwhsVN8

Should help . Shimano and SRAM have good tech pages too

Leaway2

Lycrist
What I would do. Firstly don't touch the limit screws (If it's not jumping off the cassette) they should not have moved so should be OK. Turn the bike upside down. Shift into a middle cog.
Look from the back and align the derailier so it is in line with the said cog using the barrel adjuster. Shift up to the top readjust if needed. Shift down readjust if needed. The cage actually is usually just slightly lower than the cog I find. Repeat until happy.
If if won't shift into the top or bottom, then adjust the limit screws.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
What I would do. Firstly don't touch the limit screws (If it's not jumping off the cassette) they should not have moved so should be OK. Turn the bike upside down. Shift into a middle cog.
Look from the back and align the derailier so it is in line with the said cog using the barrel adjuster. Shift up to the top readjust if needed. Shift down readjust if needed. The cage actually is usually just slightly lower than the cog I find. Repeat until happy.
If if won't shift into the top or bottom, then adjust the limit screws.
Its so often you'll see people suggest adjusting the limit screws, like the first thing you should do. Its not ...and Leaway is spot on saying so.
In circa 40 years of cycling, the ONLY time I ever had to adjust limit screws was when fitting new derailleurs.

compo

Veteran
In circa 40 years of cycling, the ONLY time I ever had to adjust limit screws was when fitting new derailleurs.

I have just had to adjust my limit screws without replacing the derailleur.
I fitted a 5 speed freewheel in place of a knackered 6 speed one. Come the New Year I will get a new 6 speed then have to readjust the limit screws again.

But yes, I agree about not touching the screws unless really necessary.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I have just had to adjust my limit screws without replacing the derailleur.
I fitted a 5 speed freewheel in place of a knackered 6 speed one. Come the New Year I will get a new 6 speed then have to readjust the limit screws again.

But yes, I agree about not touching the screws unless really necessary.
I'll let you off with that one :thumbsup:

Top Bottom