Technical Progress in Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

When I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s, road bikes were called racers or was that just a Northern thing? When did they start being called road bikes.

We called them racers in the 1960's.

Ajax Bay

Guru
To the best of my recollection the bike I rode to school in the 70s (drop handlebars and (v esoteric) bar end gear levers) was generically recognised as a 'racing bike'. I was aware of the Herne Hill track a few streets away on Burbage Road (built for the London Olympics aiui) but never had the curiosity to go in and have a look (let alone 'race'). The only item I have left from it is a Brooks Competition, resurrected and used for about 20,000km last decade before retirement and in the 'never know when useful' box now.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
To the best of my recollection the bike I rode to school in the 70s (drop handlebars and (v esoteric) bar end gear levers) was generically recognised as a 'racing bike'. I was aware of the Herne Hill track a few streets away on Burbage Road (built for the London Olympics aiui) but never had the curiosity to go in and have a look (let alone 'race'). The only item I have left from it is a Brooks Competition, resurrected and used for about 20,000km last decade before retirement and in the 'never know when useful' box now.

Herne Hill wooden velodrome back in the early 70's - used to ride there from Gravesend with Gravesend Cycling Club to watch the racing.

Had some nice days there although memories are a bit hazy these days. 🙂

simongt

Guru
When I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s, road bikes were called racers or was that just a Northern thing?
Nope. In my neck of the woods, they were called the same, or sometimes 'five speeds' to differentiate from the sit up & beg three speed SA bikes. At my school; a posh public one, one lad had a ten speed and another lucky so and so had a Freddie Grubb fixie - ! ^_^

Top Bottom