Technical Progress in Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To just add a bit of context regarding demand and supply 105 and Ultegra 32t and 34t cassettes are currently unavailable until March next year and we have no incoming dates for a lot of Genesis bikes (Coix De Fers etc).

And that Planet X will have a relatively small margin on it(they will have a bit of leeway as it's their own frame) but will be banking on shifting a lot to make up for it.

Oh and have three Di2 bikes of which I have had no issues ;only error was some numpty not checking the battery before heading out on a ride:rolleyes:.

Venod

Eh up
I ride 28s at the moment and have ridden 25s before. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure I could tell the difference. 3mm is a bit fine for my backside to detect.

I ride 32mm tubeless on two bikes, very comfortable and fast, I have bought a bike of my lad with 25mm tubeless,(Giant Gavia) it felt harsh to me, so I put some Schwalbe 28mm pro one tubeless on, its transformed the ride, more comfortable and just as quick, I run them at 60psi max.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On modern techno bikes, didn't a lass recently finally beat Beryl Burton's 12 hour record by a mere 3% or so - ?
Bearing in mind that Beryl was riding a chromo frame road bike of the day and ordinary cycle clothing and the record beater was riding a modern, full techno carbon fibre road bike and wearing aero clothing and bash hat. :whistle:
Progress - ?

Perhaps BB was a lot more talented than the current record holder?

I regularly check out the TT scene back in Essex, and the times riders are doing in what are no more than fish & chip events are simply astonishing compared to forty or fifty years ago. In some events almost 90% of riders are inside the hour for a 25, back in the day only a handful would do that.

I know nutrition and training have improved, but not to that extent. Lighter, more aerodynamic bikes and kit have made a huge difference.

Oh and have three Di2 bikes of which I have had no issues ;only error was some numpty not checking the battery before heading out on a ride:rolleyes:.
Only out on the road issue I had with Di2 was a numpty problem too.

Noticed just after starting out on London- Paris I couldn’t change on the front when I got to the first hill. Thankfully is was short so could grind my way up and stop at the top to check.

Found the issue instantly. When taking the bike out of the car it had slipped and, as I caught it, must have pulled the left shifter cable out of the junction box. Plugged it back in and caught up with the group in no time.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
TBH 18mm is where its at, and tubular :becool:

Being serious for just one moment, I was always a bit of a girth snob when it came to tyres, with 25mm an absolute acceptable maximum.

My latest bike came with 30mm front and 32mm rear tubeless and I must admit they make your standard UK road surface a little more bearable. Apart from some Tufo 23mm jobs I have on my TT bike that roll like Neymar after slight contact but have the puncture resistance of a pair of tights, I’ve not felt that the extra width has increased resistance noticeably. If anything, they feel a bit easier over the ubiquitous surface dressing. I do have them up to max pressure though at 80psi. Anything much lower always makes the bike feel a bit squirrely to me.

I'm wondering is the technical progress each year greater in carbon frames or groupsets?

I would have said frames, like the carbon/graphene Dassi?
dassi-interceptor-02-1502885967183-1jdmdw7rv6wk6-d03a16a.jpg

Top Bottom