Technical Progress in Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
With your comments there lawyers will be after you . :laugh:

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest tbh. I read something some time ago about them sueing some small-time outfit / shop for daring to include the word "rock" (as in "Rock Hopper") in the name of one of their products. Typical billy-big-b*llocks-crap-on-the-small-man-because-you-can-litigious scumbaggery tbh.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
To counterbalance the anti Spesh views. I love them, they have been brilliant with me on warranty claims. I agree they are expensive, but when they changed a very well used Tricross (over 40,000 very abused mile I got out of it) for me with no quibbles they got a customer for life.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Indeed; I feel very fortunate to have bought my CdF just as the Covid situation was starting to bite and paid a lot less than a similarly-specced offering would cost me now.

I don't think new prices will fall either. I do think that we're living through the death-knell of rampant, casual and disposible consumption / consumerism and are returning to the days where everything is more expensive - and in turn a more considered, long-lived and cherished purchase.. which while painful for some is ultimately the way it should be.

I think the resurgence in love for steel is a bit different to that for ally though - the touting of aluminium perhaps being the result of industry shills pushing a lower-price alternative to CFRP to make it seem more viable / desirable in the face of rising prices.

Conversely steel on the other hand is, I think more likely to be a response to consumers who are sick of wasting their money on products that are ultimately disposible. In uncertain times, products that are stable and reliable gain fresh market appeal.

I think i was trying to say what @wafter is saying but he said it far more eloquently.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Specialized are crafty - new Diverge Sport is £550 more than my 2019 model BUT 8r not 9r carbon frame as earlier model. Also SRAM Apex instead of 105, suspect Apex is cheaper?
In fact the cheapest 9r framed Diverge now (granted its SRAM Rival) is an eye watering £4900 :blink: the cheeky monkeys.

Actually a little side note from the main thread: i read when they use stiffer carbon fibre (higher r numbers in their marketing), its not for the entire frame but just parts of it. The rest of the frame is still made of the lower r number carbon fibre and the reason is otherwise the frame would be too stiff.
Thats something I read a while back but never looked into it further so unsure of its accuracy.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Tbh wouldn't surprise me in the slightest tbh. I read something some time ago about them sueing some small-time outfit / shop for daring to include the word "rock" (as in "Rock Hopper") in the name of one of their products. Typical billy-big-b*llocks-crap-on-the-small-man-because-you-can-litigious scumbaggery tbh.

I did not know about that. Thats.... unfortunate. I know they went after a small shop owner that was called Roval because it conflicted with the wheel company that spesh bought out.

The thing is I really like their Turbo offerings. Grrr.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually a little side note from the main thread: i read when they use stiffer carbon fibre (higher r numbers in their marketing), its not for the entire frame but just parts of it. The rest of the frame is still made of the lower r number carbon fibre and the reason is otherwise the frame would be too stiff.
Thats something I read a while back but never looked into it further so unsure of its accuracy.

I think you are right there. I've got some Spesh Pro Carbo Shoes from oh, 18 years ago. They are great and FACT10 carbon, so super stiff. You could kick a hole in a T72 Tank ! :whistle:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Didn’t they also try to sue some cafe in Canada for calling themselves Paris-Roubaix or similar :wacko:
Sounds about right - tbh they'd probably have a go at the local school's special needs department if they thought it would score them a few dollars and the joy of ruining the day of someone less fortunate..

Last edited:
To counterbalance the anti Spesh views. I love them, they have been brilliant with me on warranty claims. I agree they are expensive, but when they changed a very well used Tricross (over 40,000 very abused mile I got out of it) for me with no quibbles they got a customer for life.

To be honest, I'm no massive Spesh fanboy, just really liked the Diverge test ride so got one, good to hear they honour warranties though.
A thought on the OP's question though. I bought the first carbon Synapse waaay back, and it was a total dog and not cheap, so I think carbon frames have come an awful long way in 15 odd years.

I think you are right there. I've got some Spesh Pro Carbo Shoes from oh, 18 years ago. They are great and FACT10 carbon, so super stiff. You could kick a hole in a T72 Tank ! :whistle:

Still got my Spesh helmet from 2003 which cost a bomb but you don't know its on. Just hope it's still 'safe'.

Jameshow

Veteran
To be honest, I'm no massive Spesh fanboy, just really liked the Diverge test ride so got one, good to hear they honour warranties though.
A thought on the OP's question though. I bought the first carbon Synapse waaay back, and it was a total dog and not cheap, so I think carbon frames have come an awful long way in 15 odd years.

I have an early six carbon it's very much a dog - got slated in the reviews. But I've used it as an audax bike and it's been great. Countless centuries, 400k, c2c lejog etc.

Only downside is the limited tyre clearance 25mm.

Compared to my focus izalco 2012 it's a tank.

Which I thing is mainly due to the standard modulus carbon and thick radiator paint!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Reposting: "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant"
Try avoiding to laugh at/with this article : bikesnob-2008-dream-bike-shootout,
"this bike climbs like a monkey with a set of crampons, descends like a monkey in a set of crampons being dropped from a helicopter, handles corners like a prostitute, and accelerates like a particle in a particle accelerator that itself is just a tiny particle in a giant particle accelerator."
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carbon.243931/page-2

Top Bottom