Teenage cyclist arrested after pensioner injured...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
Teenage cyclist arrested after pensioner injured

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2013-08-05/teenage-cyclist-arrested-after-pensioner-injured/

A teenage cyclist from Essex is in custody after allegedly causing a bus crash which left a 90-year-old passenger fighting for his life.
Police say the 18-year-old swerved into the path of the bus near Chelmsford town centre on Saturday.

The driver was forced to make an emergency stop - and the elderly passenger was flung to the floor causing life-threatening head injuries.
The cyclist abandoned his damaged bike and left the scene before police arrived.
He was traced and has been arrested on suspicion of assault and dangerous cycling.
A police spokesman said: "The allegation is that the cyclist caused the bus driver to brake heavily and as a result the passenger was injured - that could constitute assault."

:whistle:

Assault? Get a driver on film punching a cyclist and he didn't get charged with anything. I've never heard of an assault charge on a cyclist for making a vehicle brake.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Interesting, he hit the bus and is being charged with assault. I'm never going to touch a bus again unless it asks.

Surrey

http://road.cc/content/news/89871-p...stop-leaves-passenger-seriously?quicktabs_2=0

More details here. Although not clear it appears that the cyclist may have pulled out in front of the bus? If so not sure why the assault charge. If a car pulls out from a side road and causes an accident the driver would be charged with careless driving.
Other comments in the narrative seem odd particularly the latter paragraphs talking about cyclists generally.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Isn't it about time that safety on buses was reviewed? No seat belts, standing up while the bus is in motion and prams allowed that block the aisle. I hold on for dear life when i stand up to get off a bus,and sometimes there's nothing to hold onto!

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Isn't it about time that safety on buses was reviewed? No seat belts, standing up while the bus is in motion and prams allowed that block the aisle. I hold on for dear life when i stand up to get off a bus,and sometimes there's nothing to hold onto!

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
This happened in Korea. Pretty much shows what your talking about

This post is an outrage!!

I was hopping on and off moving Routemasters in south west and central London from the age of one year less than the age any of you suspected I was going to say. It never did me any harm!

That is all I have to say.... Apart from this: We are in the grip of dangerously safety-obsessed safeticians (I made that word up) who are determined to safety us to death (I made that verb up). We do not want to be safetied to death. We want Routemasters, we want bakelite steering wheels and hard, metal dashboards. We want sharp, chromed-steel bumpers and dagger-like tail fins. We want rod brakes working on chromed-steel rims. (Strains of some patriotic tune start about here). We want roast beef from herds with BSE and we want ice-cream that de-frosted and was re-frozen. We want slippery pavements and 2mm panes in all domestic windows. We want slam-door trains on the Southern Region that allow you to leap off at ridiculous speeds when you're opposite the steps down to the Tube. We want the Queen to be young again and we want the Empire back.

The notion of seat belts on town buses in an outrage!!

An outrage!!

I was hopping on and off moving Routemasters in south west and central London from the age of one year less than the age any of you suspected I was going to say. It never did me any harm!

That is all I have to say.... Apart from this: We are in the grip of dangerously safety-obsessed safeticians (I made that word up) who are determined to safety us to death (I made up that verb). We do not want to be safetied to death. We want Routemasters, we want bakelite steering wheels and hard, metal dashboards. We want sharp, chromed-steel bumpers and dagger-like tail fins. We want rod brakes working on chromed-steel rims. (Strains of some patriotic tune start about here). We want roast beef from herds with BSE and we want ice-cream that de-frosted and was re-frozen. We want slippery pavements and 2mm panes in all domestic windows. We want slam-door trains on the Southern Region that allow you to leap off at ridiculous speeds when you're opposite the steps down to the Tube. We want the Queen to be young again and we want the Empire back.

The notion of seat belts on town buses in an outrage!!

An outrage!!
Ever seen the film "A beautiful mind"? :whistle:

Top Bottom