Teenage son growing too fast - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
A little over a year ago I bought a Scott Sub 30 for my then 13 year old son.

When I bought the bike it was only just big enough for him with the saddle all the way down, but since then he has shot up in height even faster than I expected, and now has the saddle raised so high that he has to bend uncomfortably to reach the handlebars.

There are no spacers that would allow me to raise the height of the headset, so I wondered if anyone knows of different kind of headset we could fit that would raise the handlebar height. A key criteria for my son is that any modification needs to look pretty cool.

Alternatively, if I have to get him a bigger bike is there anything I could get that would have plenty of "growing room". He would ideally like another hybrid or fast tourer of some kind. There is no sign that he is going to stop growing any time soon, and I don't want to have to fork out for a new bike every year!

ash68

hi Dannyg www.sjscycles.co.uk do a Ahead stem raiser for 11/8 inch steerer which gives extra 70mm of height apparently. Cost £ 19.99. Don't know if it's compatable with your lads bike, buy may be worth a look.Cheaper alternative is to stop him sleeping in the greenhouse all day and night. And stop feeding him miraclegrow:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, he has a racing position then........ he might want a longer - i.e. further projecting stem.

My MTB is set up like my road bikes... ie bent over so don't worry - longer seat post and a longer stem (to stretch him out) or a high riser stem !

Any decision on adapting his existing bike or buying him a new one should be based on his future height. (If I remember it correctly...) if you know how tall he was on his second birthday, double it to get his adult height.

Selecting a frame size/shape for a growing child is straightforward, he requires a low and long top tube. Low for standover clearance, long (measured horizontally) so that you can fit a short stem to start off, gradually increasing the stem as the child grows.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Thanks for the various replies.

Ash - will definitely look into the SJS stem raiser. But as colour does not match frame this may be rejected by son on asthetic grounds

Elmer - according to my LBS there is no adjustable angle stem that would fit a Scott Sub. Do you know of one?

Mickle - don't understand how I increase the stem length without fitting matching new forks, which my LBS have already said are either not going to be available or prohibitavely expensive (though I guess maybe cheaper than a new bike).

Length not height Dannyg. Stems come in lengths, (from about 50mm to 140mm) measured from centre of steerer to centre of bar. Height is determined by angle (0 through to 45 degrees).

The idea is to start him off on a short stem and increase the length as he grows, fine tuning his position by selecting the appropriate angle.
Fitting a stem raiser/steerer extension will raise the bar but have no effect on the reach. Bear in mind that the bike has to grow twixt bar and saddle as well as between saddle and pedal as he grows.

An adjustable angle stem will do little to help. Oh and by the way they are definitely available for your sons bike.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Oops, I am getting myself confused as I do of course know stems come in lengths:blush:

The problem is that his seat has now been raised so high that I think he needs a longer stem and something to raise the handlebar height.

> dannyg

Doesn't solve your son's fitting problems but I have an 11 year old grandson who is about to need another bike. I have a Scott sub 20 of my own and know the bike. Depending on the size of your sub 30 I would be more than willing to discuss terms with you. Even if it was a bit big for an 11 year old, it would fit his mother and suit the type of riding that we all try to do together.

Maybe you could just bear me in mind?

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Will do.

My main aim is to get another year's use out of the bike, but if that is not possible will definitely be looking for an eager buyer.

domtyler

Über Member
Personally I would buy him a new bike if he is going through a big growth spurt, otherwise you may put him off cycling for good. Either that or damage him/cause an accident or something. You can surely get a decent price for the old one if it is only a year old.

Top Bottom