Teenagers as passenger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Would it be feasible to tow his (empty) bike using a tailgator thing? Obviously they're designed for smaller bikes so you might have to remove the front wheel to make it work (attach that to your rack)? But I guess that's no good if you don't know in advance that you will need his bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This would be for short hops only usually about 1 - 1.5 miles max. Is it possible to adapt my bike? Any ideas?
Can you fit a dutch rack and get a seat cushion?

I *think* there's something in the law about it being illegal unless the bike has been specially adapted to carry a passenger.
Yes, Road Traffic Regulation Act 1988 section 24. My bike was advertised as capable of carrying a passenger (it's a full-frame-thickness rear rack attached to the axle) but I'm not sure if that's good enough for UK law - I don't really fancy pedalling it with the weight and tyre pressures involved with an adult, either!

[QUOTE 4150408, member: 9609"]i would imagine it would still be very dangerous and illegal.[/QUOTE]
Illegal, but not dangerous especially.

Or what about you both getting those scooter things the trendy people use? There must be a way for you to carry one, slung across your back as if it were a rifle.
Surely there must be one that either folds down, or the handle telescopes short enough to allow it to be put on the rack without the handle hitting the floor? Maybe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/b-pro-Adu...-Commute-Push-Kick-Best-Scooter-/381404534011

Would it be feasible to tow his (empty) bike using a tailgator thing? Obviously they're designed for smaller bikes so you might have to remove the front wheel to make it work (attach that to your rack)? But I guess that's no good if you don't know in advance that you will need his bike.
I think I've seen a device that allows one to hang the front wheel on one side of a pannier rack and the fork on the other (care needed when turning sharp!) but damned if I can find one for sale. Maybe it was a custom-built thing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4150743, member: 9609"]The OP could get some advice from this cycling expert.[/QUOTE]
The whole Boris Backie incident just annoys me that the bikes weigh a ton but still don't have a back seat... that and that Boris meekly apologised instead of calling the law an ass.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ignoring the beard and silly bars - this also works.

F6SIS3BGKLISKR6.LARGE.jpg

There is a bike conversion called the Xtracycle
Some models are designed with foot plates and for a passenger, but can also carry shopping and luggage

Alternately Google "Longtail bikes "

ayceejay

Guru
Thinking outside the box here: could you fetch him on a micro scooter carrying his one on your back and then scoot home together?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for all suggestions of tandems, long tails, towing - all things I've considered at some point.
As its only a once so often, short journey, I thought the rack idea fitted my needs best, if it's do able.
I found some Tubus racks that say max load 40kg. Might weigh him tonight and see how far off that he is.
Thinking outside the box here: could you fetch him on a micro scooter carrying his one on your back and then scoot home together?
Thats not a bad idea.

Top Bottom