Teenagers as passenger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

If you like Tim put I thought you were talking about Sara taking the boys scooter on her bike and I am suggesting both of them on scooters.
Damn, you're right. I knew what I meant inside my head.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Where d'ya live, Fallujah?
You'd be surprised.

All cities have their less salubrious areas. My sons football training ground just happens to be slap bang in the middle of one such place. Lots of of unpleasant adolescent gang violence.
There's no way he wandering around there alone until he's at least 30!

LocalLad

If it's only a mile, can you not cycle your usual day, then just cycle at walking pace with him for that mile? It doesn't sound that frequent, and surely his walking pace for that distance isn't that slow?

Sandra6

Veteran
I've been giving this some thought lately too. My daughter's younger but about as heavy.
We tried her cycling to school, it went well it was downhill. Turns out she doesn't do hills!
To get from work to school I need to bike, but I hate pushing it ( usually with her sitting on it!!) uphill home.
I toyed with the idea of a rack with a higher weight limit, but I decided her lack of balance added to mine wouldn't end well. Lol.
If you do go for it, let me know.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I've been giving this some thought lately too. My daughter's younger but about as heavy.
We tried her cycling to school, it went well it was downhill. Turns out she doesn't do hills!
To get from work to school I need to bike, but I hate pushing it ( usually with her sitting on it!!) uphill home.
I toyed with the idea of a rack with a higher weight limit, but I decided her lack of balance added to mine wouldn't end well. Lol.
If you do go for it, let me know.
Funnily enough someone cycle past my house with a youth on her rack the other day. It was all very casual. Maybe I'm over thinking this,

Sandra6

Veteran
Be more Dutch :-)

Sandra6

Veteran
@Sara_H did you give it a go yet?
I tried with my daughter earlier, having her straddle the rack was fine for me but it hurt her legs. We tried side ways sitting but it threw my balance too much.
I'm going to carry a cushion ;-)

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I am not sure about Bertha's rear pannier weight allowance and it came with her, but I do sometimes get Squidge to jump on the back rack when we come home from places he does not have his bike, I even had the local plod wave at me and mention to me at market he had seen, but he wasn't stroppy about it just laughed and said he had not seen anyone do that for ages he is also only 10 y/o

Mission

Buy the lad some running shoes so that he can jog alongside you. Don't accept no for an answer. Problem solved!

Yazzoo

If it's only a mile, and an occasional one at that I don't see why you can't just push your bike along and him walk beside? No expense to buy anything new or mod what you have, no bus fares and not having to leave your bike anywhere - seems a no brainer to me?

Most 13yr olds I know wouldn't get on the back of their mums bikes regardless of whether the rack would take their weight or not - don't spend a fortune on it unless you're sure he'll use it!

My son is younger and I think he'd go for the stunt pegs idea (prob because of the name) but anything that vaguely resembled a baby seat on the back would be well out of the question!

Top Bottom