Teenagers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yesterday I stood for 30 minutes with a cyclist friend who also happens to be blind, he was in the Waterside in Lincoln collecting for the Blind Society. Despite teenagers not making up a huge percentage of the people there they were far and away the majority of people stopping and giving, good on them.

As for the middle ager's with your bags full of shopping trying their best not to be noticed, you were.

We had an American style milkshake and ice cream parlour on our high street fur around a year before it got bought out.

People complained that teenagers were hanging out there. And they were. Lots of them. Causing no trouble. They were hanging out with friend having milk shakes. Not smoking. Not getting drunk. Not having fights. Not mugging people. But getting together and having a flippin milkshake. Yet people got upset by it.

Yes there's some bad kids. There's bad adults too. Seeing a group of kids can be intimidating. But kids hang out with friends. What are they supposed to do?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Teenagers are wonderfully naive and easy to manipulate, aren't they? It takes a few years to get wise to the cynical high pressure tactics of the chuggers. I don't stop to give in the street simply because far too often I have stopped for a friendly chat and to make a one off donation, but been subjected to a very professional sales patter trying to take advantage of my good nature.

So now I treat charities the same as I treat religions.

PaulB

Legendary Member
People complained that teenagers were hanging out there. And they were. Lots of them. Causing no trouble. They were hanging out with friend having milk shakes. Not smoking. Not getting drunk. Not having fights. Not mugging people. But getting together and having a flippin milkshake. Yet people got upset by it.
We can't have that! What on earth will we complain about then?

My niece had her 18th birthday in a social club a few years ago and her dad, my famous dog-owning BIL asked me if us oldies would 'patrol' the room looking out for any trouble and 'nipping it in the bud'. Well it most certainly was not what we expected because every single one of the kids there were nice, respectful and thoroughly decent. A couple of the oldies (not me or BIL) were seen snorting suspicious lines in the toilets and emerging acting differently but the kids were all, every last one of them, a credit to their parents and whatever education system they went or were going through.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I support a number of charities, all of which I have chosen based on my preferences and values with regular donations via direct debit . I tend to give to spontaneous appeals occasionally. Bear that in mind next time you choose to judge folk.

Drago

Legendary Member
It was three teenagers who tried to relieve me of some cash at a hole in the wall many years ago. I pretended to be frightened then as they got in close I nutted the first, and gave number two a forearm across the nose. All three then ran off.

They were idiots, and I suspect they're idiots still despite now being in their thirties.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My oldest daughter turned 15 today. I've got to say these have been the most pleasant years I've had a relationship with her. Kind, considerate, inquisitive and dynamic. The world really is out there for her to take on. Without exception, she is no different to any other teen I know.

It's a shame they are demonised. Round here, it's the oldies who need a thick ear. You let them through a door first and they don't mutter a word of thanks. They are rude, self-opinionated and are crap at drivers too. Euthanasia would be very welcomed by me.

Must admit that I decided a few years ago that I (and the Charity) was better off with organised donations and the Gift Aid system.

I am therefore far less likely to donate to street collections

Slick

Guru
I'm middle aged and make no apologies for not stopping for every can rattler that I meet. I'm glad that teenagers decided to support this charity, but give them a few years of students asking for their bank details and they will become as decerning as the rest of us. I choose certain charities to support, and to my shame I have not supported any charity enough to actually do something to raise money for them, save one movember thing. After reading one of the threads on here, I've decided that's going to change now, and I'm currently trying to find different ways to support the BHF.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once had a direct debit donation to a charity which I will not name. Since the bank a/c I was using for this was being closed I stopped the DD while changing to another a/c . Before this actually happened I was subjected to a deluge of " how dare you stop giving money to us" demands which were really strident and aggressive. The DD was never renewed because of this reaction.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I once had a direct debit donation to a charity which I will not name. Since the bank a/c I was using for this was being closed I stopped the DD while changing to another a/c . Before this actually happened I was subjected to a deluge of " how dare you stop giving money to us" demands which were really strident and aggressive. The DD was never renewed because of this reaction.
That's happened to us. I won't mention the charity concerned but their promises were never once met and they left us very disappointed in their hectoring attitude when we pointed this out to them. A real 'how DARE you criticise US when we go around doing all this good?' type of thing.

Top Bottom