Teeth are overrated...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
So I got knocked off on my way home on Thursday and have a couple of questions:

1) Would you trust a frame that had been in a crash with no visible signs of damage? No marks in the paint, dents or otherwise, but not sure that the frame is still sound. I don't know where the impact occurred as I got concussion so don't remember much.

2) Anyone know of a good solicitor for accidents like this: driver has admitted fault, 5 witnesses back this up, police have advised I speak to one. I am in Newcastle and don't want to screw the lady over, but I would like my bike, clothing and injury costs covered.

3) As a result of the crash, I am losing a tooth (front left, classy...). Any advice on the best sort of replacement? Hospital mentioned an implant or a bridge but I don't really have a clue what would be better!

I'd like to add that the woman who hit me stayed until the police arrived. Apparently she put in a 999 call but was too distraught to complete the call! Not saying that's a good thing but it is heartening to know that someone has recognised their fault and is prepared to accept responsibility, especially when it comes to a cycling accident. She will be going on an awareness course, as advised by the excellent policeman sorting things out, and supported by me.

Also big thanks to ASDA in Gosforth for their concern and storing my bike until my wife picked it up. And finally to the good people at the RVI for sewing and stapling me back together!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Russell, Jones and Walker are ok. The CTC use them so you could go through them if you are a member. You can also go direct obviously.

Is it a carbon frame? If yes then no I would definitely not trust it. Whatever it's made of you should take it to your LBS for a check over. You could miss any number of things yourself.

As to teeth, sorry can't help but hope you get it sorted!!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Russell, Jones & Walker are the go-to firm for cyclists - they're the lawyers the CTC uses, IIRC.

You need to get the bike looked at by an expert. I don't think anyone can say with confidence what may or may not be wrong with the frame without seeing it. Also depends on the material. Steel might be fine but I don't think I'd trust a carbon frame after a car shunt.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse though. Hope it's all resolved satisfactorily for you.

Edit: cross-posted with martint - but at least we seem to agree!

d.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You shouldn't really need a solicitor if she has admitted fault, and the police have sent her on a course, but at least contact one in any case, RJW as above.

You will be faced with wearing a false tooth on a plate or having a proper implant. Difference will be in the thousands, so you will need to claim.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks for the tip, I will give them a look. I am not a CTC member so will go direct.

The frame is aluminium, fork is carbon. Steels have looked it over but said that without an X-ray they couldn't say for sure. It is a nice frame so will be wall mounted once stripped if that's all it's good for.

I am thinking about a gangsta style gold tooth, but I'm not sure if that's cool anymore. So hard to keep up these days...

Edited to say thanks for the other responses. Much appreciated folks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Implants cost about £3k and you are entitled to this. As there is injury and dental work needed you are probably better using a solicitor.

Dental work isn't cheap.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Ouch, sorry to hear about your crash mate. I live quite near to Gosforth. What happened?

Was going round the small roundabout outside ASDA to take my usual route down Hollywood Avenue to Longbenton. Lady in a Corsa didn't see me despite my bright green jersey. She must have taken me out side on as I went straight over her car, apparently.

It's not the first time I have seen drivers chancing it there as it's an awkward junction.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Was going round the small roundabout outside ASDA to take my usual route down Hollywood Avenue to Longbenton. Lady in a Corsa didn't see me despite my bright green jersey. She must have taken me out side on as I went straight over her car, apparently.

It's not the first time I have seen drivers chancing it there as it's an awkward junction.

Yeah, I know what you mean with that roundabout. Glad you're relatively ok anyway mate.

endoman

Implant if at all possible, don't start drilling other teeth unless you really have to. Depends how much bone you have left at the site of the avulsed tooth, assuming it's all come out?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for the tip, I will give them a look. I am not a CTC member so will go direct.

The frame is aluminium, fork is carbon. Steels have looked it over but said that without an X-ray they couldn't say for sure. It is a nice frame so will be wall mounted once stripped if that's all it's good for.

I am thinking about a gangsta style gold tooth, but I'm not sure if that's cool anymore. So hard to keep up these days...

Edited to say thanks for the other responses. Much appreciated folks!

I would consider the frame to be compromised until otherwise proven and would offer the following choice:

1) Driver pays for replacement
2) Driver pay for any postage and costs associated with sending it for X-ray or alternative conclusive testing, if its ok, no worries and no further cost to the driver, if its not okay, driver pays for replacement.

Given the cost of sending the bike for X-ray or testing and the chance that this might end up costing more if the bike is damaged, then option 1 would be the default option. But I would allow the driver to pick the second option if they wanted too gamble.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
So I got knocked off on my way home on Thursday and have a couple of questions:

1) Would you trust a frame that had been in a crash with no visible signs of damage? No marks in the paint, dents or otherwise, but not sure that the frame is still sound. I don't know where the impact occurred as I got concussion so don't remember much.

2) Anyone know of a good solicitor for accidents like this: driver has admitted fault, 5 witnesses back this up, police have advised I speak to one. I am in Newcastle and don't want to screw the lady over, but I would like my bike, clothing and injury costs covered.

3) As a result of the crash, I am losing a tooth (front left, classy...). Any advice on the best sort of replacement? Hospital mentioned an implant or a bridge but I don't really have a clue what would be better!

I'd like to add that the woman who hit me stayed until the police arrived. Apparently she put in a 999 call but was too distraught to complete the call! Not saying that's a good thing but it is heartening to know that someone has recognised their fault and is prepared to accept responsibility, especially when it comes to a cycling accident. She will be going on an awareness course, as advised by the excellent policeman sorting things out, and supported by me.

Also big thanks to ASDA in Gosforth for their concern and storing my bike until my wife picked it up. And finally to the good people at the RVI for sewing and stapling me back together!

Hi
I'm also from Newcastle
In regard to the bike you can take it to http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ they have a store in Byker and they are really good(full of experts). Tell them that you were in a incident and request a damge report along with estimated costs and im sure they will stress test the frame of the bike. This will give you an idea of cost. They will know what to do as they do get the odd few when they happen

In regard to your tooth. Its best to go to your normal dentist and get an evaluation from them and along with the cost.Tehy will have the best idea and also be able to talk you through your options. Make sure its all official(documentation). Not just your word.

In regards to 2.. im not sure but others will.

I'd like to add that the woman who hit me stayed until the police arrived

Ha. what other option does she have... she is by law required to stay.

In regards to the police they would have given you a incident number.
At all costs keep this!!!!!
It will be good if you make a claim as it will have the police report of the incident and what the followed up actions of the police were. Since she has gone on a course by the police this will not favour her.

Also how did you find the police. The two times ive used them with results on my channel they have been top class. Just wanted to hear what they were like from another person.
Anyway i hope this helps

Regards Cycle Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy

My self ive never seen anything happen on that roundabout it looks ok but the road surface could be done again as its starting to fall apart.
Normally the long stretch to benton where anything happens... the odd chancing rabbit or close pass.

Top Bottom