Teide climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huttster

Hi People,Just got back from holiday in Tenerife and while i was there at the last minute decided i would try to climb Teide,didn't do any training and have only commuted back and forth to work for what seems like forever,hired a bike and set off,for anyone thinking about doing something like this all i can say is don't think about it just do it,it is the best experience of my life,made it to the the top (phew)and back down(wow),enjoyed it so much i went half way up again a few days later,will try to put a link to strava but not exactly p.c savy,if i was to do it again i would book a bike before i went as the bike i used was of less quality than i was used to,maybe own pedals and saddle also^_^:sun::sun:^_^ http://app.strava.com/activities/47975258 Oh yeah,also saw the sky team on their way down as i was going up!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well done. Even reading your post made me breathless.

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

Thank you Gloalti,breathless? you better believe it,strange thing is i was ridiculously out of breath at the bottom of the climb compared to the top??????????

H1llB1lly

Regular
Heading to Tenerife at the weekend and am planning this run myself. Got a few questions i'd love answered if you would take the time?
Where did you hire your bike? Did you go solo? How was the traffic on the climb? Any other obvious tips?
Thanks.

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

Heading to Tenerife at the weekend and am planning this run myself. Got a few questions i'd love answered if you would take the time?
Where did you hire your bike? Did you go solo? How was the traffic on the climb? Any other obvious tips?
Thanks.
Hiya H1llB1lly,hired the bike through the hotel i was staying at but probike hire are supposed to be good,better bikes than i ended up with too,they are also delivered to your hotel and you keep it in your room but you have to confirm with your hotel if they allow this,yes i went up solo starting early in the morning as soon as it got light(7.30),traffic on the climb was minimal and very patient even encouraging in some cases,made it up on 3 bottles of water,4 bananas and 5 energy gels and breakfast but should have taken more actual food,arm warmers at least are a must for the decent through the clouds as is sun tan cream for when you are above them :biggrin:, i also took a pac a mac top and full fingered gloves as advised but didn't need these in the end,don't worry about how out of breath you get at the start,i thought i had no chance at all of making it as it's quite a relentless climb but get into a rhythm and you will be fine,road surfaces are ok top and bottom, but watch out just past vilaflor on the decent it's as rough as a badgers arse!

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

Have you read about what happened to Andrew Marr, the BBC guy, while you were away?:whistle:
Yeah,but have you seen the state of him!

Davidc

Guru
I cheated. Went with a company that takes you up in a minibus with the bikes on a trailer. Lunch and drink at the restaurant at Las Canadas and ride back down on the bikes!

Well done though. Perhaps- on a future trip....

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

I cheated. Went with a company that takes you up in a minibus with the bikes on a trailer. Lunch and drink at the restaurant at Las Canadas and ride back down on the bikes!

Well done though. Perhaps- on a future trip....
Thanks Davidc,some of the vans past me on the way up beeping horns and waving out of the back window,very encouraging:hello:

Top Bottom