Tektro CR520 / CR720 cantilevers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

Hmm, just read the review of the CR520 in CTC mag (link from Zepnat.com who have the brakes in stock) and I must say that, now - despite what I said above - I am quite tempted. I don't have a problem with stopping power from Oryx brakes but I do have a problem with fork judder. If these CR520s eradicate all fork judder then I may have to invest.

jpembroke

Well, I bought some CR520s. Hmmm. Well, they're OK. No improvement in power over the Oryx I had previously. They certainly run further from the rim - which is good - but the front brake judder is still there. Also, they are a bit of a bu&&er to centre. I've screwed the left side in and the right side out (didn't shake it all about though) and it's only just about centred. Overall, I'm a little bit gutted. Glad I only spent £38 on the set. Not sure I can see what CTC Mag was raving about to be honest.

Look quite cool though.

Christopher

Über Member
I got one 720 brake and put it on the back of the Audax bikes. Powerful it is, a much better brake than the Oryx it replaced but modulation not as good as a good road dual-pivot.
BTW I got the 720 locally at Hewitt's, he has boxes of 'em but they are hard to find online (or were)

l4dva

Guru
On my Specialized Tricross it looks like i have a set of 720 on the front and the oryx on the back. The tech specs for the bike it self just say:
Front Brake:Tektro high profile linear spring cantilever, alloy, cartridge padsRear Brake:Tektro low profile linear spring cantilever, alloy, cartridge padsThey look just like the two mentioned above so im guessing thats what they are, and the tech specs just haven't given the actaul names?!?! Anyways regardless of what they are called. im not overly pleased with the performance of my rear breaks. When I took it back to my lbs for its first free service the mechanic just said cantis are rubbish and there wasn't much adjustment he could do to it. But he did pull the cable tighter which moved the pads closer to the rim. It did improve but still could be lot better I reckon.

Do you reckon I should buy a set of the 720 for the back as well? or just swap back to front? Also if I were to buy a set of 720 for the back will I need new cables as well? or will wats already there be fine?
thanks

jpembroke

l4dva said:
On my Specialized Tricross it looks like i have a set of 720 on the front and the oryx on the back. The tech specs for the bike it self just say:
Front Brake:Tektro high profile linear spring cantilever, alloy, cartridge padsRear Brake:Tektro low profile linear spring cantilever, alloy, cartridge padsThey look just like the two mentioned above so im guessing thats what they are, and the tech specs just haven't given the actaul names?!?! Anyways regardless of what they are called. im not overly pleased with the performance of my rear breaks. When I took it back to my lbs for its first free service the mechanic just said cantis are rubbish and there wasn't much adjustment he could do to it. But he did pull the cable tighter which moved the pads closer to the rim. It did improve but still could be lot better I reckon.

Do you reckon I should buy a set of the 720 for the back as well? or just swap back to front? Also if I were to buy a set of 720 for the back will I need new cables as well? or will wats already there be fine?
thanks

They've put a 720 on the front to try to stop the notorious Tricross fork judder I expect. You should be able to fit a 720 to the rear easily enough: undo the cable (cut the antifray cap off or pull it off if possible but don't shorten the cable anymore than necessary), remove cable from straddle yoke, unbolt cantis, bolt on new ones and follow fitting instructions. You should have enough brake cable to attach the straddle hanger. The 720 will come with hanger, straddle wire and all the other necessary bits and pieces.

Bug

A word of warning... The CR720s on my new bike are giving terrible fork judder. So much so that I have told the supplier to fix it or I'm going to return the bike. They reckon they'll be able to do something, though, so I'll reply if/when they manage to do so.

l4dva

Guru
Bug said:
A word of warning... The CR720s on my new bike are giving terrible fork judder. So much so that I have told the supplier to fix it or I'm going to return the bike. They reckon they'll be able to do something, though, so I'll reply if/when they manage to do so.

When is it that you get this fork judder?is it just in the wet? I have a spech tricross which is meant to have this fork judder, but I haven't experianced it yet I have the 720 already on the front as well. Just woundering if I should be looking out for this I try use the back break mores because I don't want to go flying over the handle bars if I break with the just the front

What bike do you have?

mr-marty-martin

the forks are ment to do that... they dont built them stiff as you riding off road in cyclo cross...

so they build them with flex for abit of give...

l4dva

Guru
mr-marty-martin said:
the forks are ment to do that... they dont built them stiff as you riding off road in cyclo cross...

so they build them with flex for abit of give...

I suppose that would make sence. I haven't noticed it yet though, prob because im not pushing it hard enough...yet

Top Bottom