Tektro Mechanical Disc Brake Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd echo what Skolly says. Most likely a contaminated pad. Even my kids cheap Tekro/Clarks cable pull discs work fine. I have had issues with MrsF's SLX pads though - the bike stands for quite a long time, and it's likely they get contaminated from working on my other bikes. Once the pad stops grabbing that's it. You can sand them off, but they will work a few times then you are back to square one.

Either go back and suggest the pads are contaminated, or clean the rotors, sand the discs and see if it stops as you'd expect. If it does, then it's likely contamination - you still need new pads. So, back to cleaning rotors, fit new pads.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I wouldn't waste much time trying to clean pads, once contaminated it is game over. 1st thing would be get back to the shop that supplied the bike (Halfords?) and get them to sort it. Could be that someone got a bit overenthusiastic with the spray lube and killed the pads during the build.
A new set of pads and good clean of the rotors before thinking about swapping out the brakes altogether.
Cheers - I actually assembled the bike myself - just picked it up in the box from Halfords.
I can guarantee I didn't contaminate the pads though as I didn't need to lube anything - was really just a case of taking the packing off and assembling bars/seatpost. So if contaminated then it must have been at the factory.

To be honest, I suspect it's more a case of bog standard crappy pads - have ordered 2 sets of organic ones from Amazon that have good reviews for £15 so will see if they make a difference.

Thanks all.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Same brakes on my vanquish , they are not brilliant but i reckon changing to better pads would probably help if anyone can suggest what ones to buy ?

In have the same tektro brakes on my Cannondale trail 7 and it stops on a point! It’s got compression-less jagwires fitted and this made a difference. Also I believe it’s got 180mm rotors on and it could be they have more area to grab so brakes better.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Evening all,

Organic pads arrived today. Gave the rotors a clean, popped them in the callipers and took it on a test ride up and down the road.

The improvement is considerable. Decent grab and can lock up the rear wheel which was never happening with the other pads. £15 well spent.
Hopefully the missus will be pleased when she gives them a try.

As an aside, from someone who’s used all versions of mechanical SRAM over the years, I’m never going to get on with Shimano brifters!

Thanks for all the advice.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Evening all,

Organic pads arrived today. Gave the rotors a clean, popped them in the callipers and took it on a test ride up and down the road.

The improvement is considerable. Decent grab and can lock up the rear wheel which was never happening with the other pads. £15 well spent.
Hopefully the missus will be pleased when she gives them a try.

As an aside, from someone who’s used all versions of mechanical SRAM over the years, I’m never going to get on with Shimano brifters!

Thanks for all the advice.
which pads did you get ?

Top Bottom