Tell me about mutli-tools (oscillating)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's my friends' 50th birthday soon and when asked what she wants, she suggested a oscillating multi-tool, like this...

2370006_R_SET?w=270&h=270&qlt=75&fmt.jpeg.jpg

Having never used one, i don't know much about them, but what i need to know is stuff like:

• are replacement blades universal?
  • are bolt on tools better or worse than quick release? (they do shake, after all :hyper:)
  • has a cyclist had a specific one for several years and used often that they can recommend?

I've had a look at Argos, Toolstation, Screwfix and there's a few within budget (£50-£100)... but reading the one star reviews, I'm seeing 'blade change is awkward', 'good but no spares available', 'worked well the first few times, now the quick release is loose'.

Currently i have my eye on this from Argos and this from Screwfix, both of which look like they'll last, but like i say, these are tools I've had no experience with.

:smile:

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
I've had bolt on blade & quick release, the latter imo is far better. I use Dewalt cordless tools & have done for many years without issue their multitool is very good. Is there a multitool available in the maker you already have cordless tools? Blade fit does differ between makers. https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/?gcl...xo5MK_Y5RbqViysEVbK_SGAcjCuUk74waAhoGEALw_wcB
Will guide you through which makers blades are readily available

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have the Fein multimaster (mains powered) and it is a truly superb bit of kit. I use it for precision sawing, and not-so-precision for things like cutting rusty nails in situt and slicing out rotten wood, ans also a superb detail sander. I had one in a previous life and my ex-mrs hung onto it, so I got another. Would not want to do without one.

They also do a more powerful supercut but it's a lot more money and there's a festool badged version of the supercut (with some improvements (at least in terms of accessories) which is even more expensive again, but even as a Festool fanboy, the Fein multimaster makes a lot more sense. I dare say lookey likey ones are half (or less) the price but I'd still buy same again, and compared to Festool it's not too brutally priced

4EAA8E20-8F73-4064-9AD4-1A1E88CDBEF7.jpeg

Gwylan

Veteran
I have a Bosch basic. Lasted years without incident t.

The sanding is indifferent ànd the little triangles of sand paper don't last long.

The cutting plates are pricey. But when you need one they are priceless.

Fixed up several houses, new kitchens, wardrobes etc. Also survived renovating two boats.

If I was buying new I would go for the Makita 18v battery model. Quick blade release would be perfection.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks guys. Corded i reckon is the best bet for this person.

Thanks but those are rotary multitools... put (oscillating) in the title for a reason :smile:

I have an original Fein corded ££££'s, from the days when they had the monopoly/patent? (or no-one had the copied them) and it's the mutts nuts even though it's manual clamping, I just buy cheap universal blades. If buying a replacement now I'd go with quick release and maybe cordless.

Top Bottom