Draper or Dremel Multi Tool?

Which one?

• Draper

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Dremel

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Draper

Or..

Dremel

gbb

Legendary Member
Id go cheap unless you're going to get some serious use out of the Dremel.
I have an older dremel, variable speed, its over 15 years old...but then hasnt seen much work and i cant think if i ever used it at home (it saw modestly regular use at work)
Replace the Draper 4 times to equal the price if the Dremel. If its just general, occasional, hobbyists use, Draper without a doubt for me

Tenkaykev

Guru
We used to use a Dremel at work in our engineering department. A very useful and adaptable piece of kit which got some hard use without failing. For home use I use an Aldi multi tool, cheap and cheerful but not a patch on the Dremel for ergonomics and build quality. ( we used to have a special high speed tool for undercutting the insulation between commutator segments. This took small diamond coated blades @ £14 each. When the tool broke we tried a Dremel with standard abrasive discs. Although the standard discs weren’t as long lasting as the diamond, they were cheap as chips by comparison and did an excellent job )

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Unless you need cordless, go for the Draper.

I'm still using one i got from Woolies about 15 years ago. It cost £7.50. I also have the Aldi cordless 'dremmel' which cost about £20. The Woolies one is better, probably because its mains powered.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd probably go for the 'north of the border' choice. In fact I have a similar cheapie bought years ago which is still working but the mains Dremel suggested by @SydZ looks like a no brainer.
The ones that work off a power supply have significantly less power.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have the Draper. Be careful to tighten the arbors properly or they'll spin and wear and rapidly become unusable. I complained to Draper and they sent me a whole box of replacement bits, which I'd regard as good service.

Jody

Stubborn git
Have Dremels really gone up that much in price?

Sure I only paid about 50 quid for mine last summer.

Top Bottom