Draper or Dremel Multi Tool?

Which one?

• Draper

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Dremel

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm erring on the side of the Draper, I think as it's only a hobby purchase and as I've survived 69 ½ years without one, over a £hundred + might be a bit excessive.
Probably wise. Mind you they are one of those tools which, once you buy them, you wonder how did you ever get through life without one?! See also angle grinder (I now have three and am hankering after a cordless one) and oscillating multi tools!!

Jody

Stubborn git
They do models from £60 upwards.

Probably what I got and coupled it with a 300 odd piece accessory kit for an extra 40 quid

Jody

Stubborn git
As for the OP's question. Not sure which make I'd go for but having had a battery powered one before, it would have to be mains powered.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have both, to be honest the mains Draper gets more use, fitted with the long flexi-drive it is excellent. Of course all Dremel attachments fit. The battery Dremel seems to have migrated to my Son's room for Airfix duties....

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cheap mains one from Lidl, about 10 years old. What's the brandies? I want to say Parklife!
Gets a fair amount of abuse, I use it to reshape knackered mower blade, that sort of thing.. The mains cord just gets wound tightly round the body when not in use, so not surprise the wires broke inside the insulation. Easy to fix though.

Replacements bits/discs/etc all cheap from the aisle of shite.
I'm sure there are better versions out there, but it's really not difficult or complicated to spin a bit at 10,000 rpm or so.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's really not difficult or complicated to spin a bit at 10,000 rpm or so.
exactly this. But I'd like to add that cordless aldi one is a bit bulky and unwieldy compared to the Woolies one, which is a bit connected via the coiled power cable. But the Woolies one sits easier in the hand, due to not having a battery throwing the balance toward the bottom end.

stephec

Legendary Member
The battery Dremel seems to have migrated to my Son's room for Airfix duties....
He's a good lad. 😊

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a Draper to grind a slightly bigger hole in a GRP boat hull. It worked OK. I would love to own a mains Dremel but I wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the expense.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I got a mains powered dremel for christmas a few years ago. The button for locking the shaft while changing bits broke, probably the third time I used it. The motor stopped working shortly after. POS.

It's replacement looks suspiciously like the illustration of the Draper in the op, but cost even less. All the dremel accessories fit, apart from the flexible shaft.
It's had at least ten times as much use as the Dremel with no problems at all.

I got an Aldi oscillating multitool and replaced it with the same when the switch broke. The blade holding bit had a different pattern so my stock of spare blades became worthless.
Also got an Aldi palm router which has been fab. Im sure a bigger, heavier more expensive one is better but it works for me.

keithmac

Guru
I use one of these with a 3.2mm collet adapter (to run Dremel tooling), only downside us you can't run the flexi extension with it.

Much better made/ more robust than the Demel.

Use one at work and bought one for home it was that handy!.

Top Bottom