Telling off the unlit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Heading into Woolston this morning, I'm waiting at the junction of Station road to cross Spring road and as traffic is coming past I see a young lad, another paper boy, dressed in black and with no lights on a black nodder bike. As I pulled out I said in a firm grown up voice: "You need to get some lights on that thing, sunshine!"

This is the second paperboy I have seen put himself at risk on the road in such a way. I dont feel I can just ignore them, they aint grown up enough to understand perhaps. I think they need an adult to voice disapproval.

I turn into Porchester road and see a motorbike approaching me so bear left and make space for him.. only its not a motorbike, it a car with only his driver's side light working. He pulled into a gap and let me pass so I waved thanks and pushed on.

I get to Shirley road, approach the lights where the cashier till shop is, a car comes around the corner and as I pass him he's got NO lights on. I shout "PUT YOUR LIGHTS ON!!" and wave at his bonnet. No mistaking, and I see him fumble to find the switch. :ohmy: :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
I've done it (kind of) twice.

1. Just shouted cycling ninja in a Peter Kay type voice (must have been high on endorphines or something).

2. I told a copper on a bike that her back lights weren't working. That one was satisfying. :whistle:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Happened to me once, I was down south and had a hire bike. Unfortunately said hire bike did not have any lights and I ended up having to cycle at night, which I had not really intended/considered.

There I was, drifting along an empty road, nearing my B&B for the night, when a guy getting out his car shouted at me 'LIGHTS!'. I had spotted him and left him enough space, but still, he did have a point :blush:

I now really wish I had turned back and explained myself properly now instead of trying to shout as I rode off. He probably thought I was swearing at him or something. :rolleyes:

PF62

I see a young lad, another paper boy, dressed in black and with no lights on a black nodder bike. As I pulled out I said in a firm grown up voice: "You need to get some lights on that thing, sunshine!"

This is the second paperboy I have seen put himself at risk on the road in such a way.

I always find it funny that their employers, the paper shops, don't seem to realise that if their employees are killed or injured whilst they are using a bike that isn't roadworthy due to having no lights, then not only do they risk being sued by the parents, but could even be prosecuted.

Funniest sight this week, pitch black at 7am and a paperboy dressed all in black with no lights, but wearing a (black) cycle helmet. Obviously mummy won't let him do his cycle round without his helmet, but is happy that he has no lights.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I always find it funny that their employers, the paper shops, don't seem to realise that if their employees are killed or injured whilst they are using a bike that isn't roadworthy due to having no lights, then not only do they risk being sued by the parents, but could even be prosecuted.

Funniest sight this week, pitch black at 7am and a paperboy dressed all in black with no lights, but wearing a (black) cycle helmet. Obviously mummy won't let him do his cycle round without his helmet, but is happy that he has no lights.

Welcome to the forum!

I have on occassion contacted the local paper and spoken to the Editor and his Distribution Manager about it. The paper have little control over it, and the shops struggle to keep track (as they're busy dishing out papers and bringing in stock deliveries at those times).

It really is down to parents to check up. Just now and again, plonk themselves on the paper route and make sure the kid is behaving. If the kid is taking risks - take the bike away and punish them. Thats my opinion.

However I honestly feel that, given how few kids get hit by drivers down here, there must be something in the way driver's behave on some of these routes - like they expect it and take some caution.

I've had a couple of letters published in the local papers on this issue. I think its worth doing the letters, even sometimes raising the issue at local public meetings with the Police and Councils.

PBancroft

With regards to unlit drivers and if I'm stationary I use my hands as imaginary headlamps and "flash" them. i.e., I hold my hands in front of me and open and close them rapidly.

Works every time.

PF62

the shops struggle to keep track (as they're busy dishing out papers and bringing in stock deliveries at those times).

I suspect the shops are just turning a blind eye, due to the difficulty in getting delivery boy/girls. I can understand the small independents doing this, but all the delivery boy/girls I pass in the morning with no lights are from a national chain.

It really is down to parents to check up.

The bikes they are riding don't have lights fitted, not that the batteries have run down. If the parents haven't fitted lights to the bike before their child starts the job, I can't see them taking the time to check up on how they ride.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I suspect the shops are just turning a blind eye, due to the difficulty in getting delivery boy/girls. I can understand the small independents doing this, but all the delivery boy/girls I pass in the morning with no lights are from a national chain.

The bikes they are riding don't have lights fitted, not that the batteries have run down. If the parents haven't fitted lights to the bike before their child starts the job, I can't see them taking the time to check up on how they ride.

I would consider contacting the chain then, make them aware. Send an open letter to your local paper also.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I see lots of cyclists with no lights, but the ones that seem to annoy me even more are the ones with the wrong lights! twice last week I saw cyclists with a red light on the front or a white on the back!!!!!????? Why on earth would anyone do that???

gbb

Legendary Member
I see lots of cyclists with no lights, but the ones that seem to annoy me even more are the ones with the wrong lights! twice last week I saw cyclists with a red light on the front or a white on the back!!!!!????? Why on earth would anyone do that???

Because a lot of people are thick, plain and simple.:biggrin:

Top Bottom