Telling off the unlit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I see lots of cyclists with no lights, but the ones that seem to annoy me even more are the ones with the wrong lights! twice last week I saw cyclists with a red light on the front or a white on the back!!!!!????? Why on earth would anyone do that???

Riding a fixie backwards? :ohmy: :biggrin:

Yeah thats stupid, I agree. Not least because most of the mounts dont fit that way around ffs. :tongue:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sometimes people have a bag or a long coat over the rear light - it's worth letting them know, as they don't always realise.

I once followed a 4x4 driver trying to tell him his lights weren't on - the fellow studiously ignored me every time I caught him up, so in the end I gave up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Riding with a friend one night, up a hill (wide urban road), my mate came alongside and pushed me with a hand on my back, for a laugh. Car comes past, giving it that on the horn for riding two abreast.

At the next lights, just a few yards away, the car is stopped, and my friend catches up alongside the drivers door and knocks on the window. Cue the fixed stare ahead ignoring him. My friend said "You haven't got your lights on!". Cue driver fumbling to put lights on, embarrassed, trying to say thanks, and ignore him at the same time...

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sometimes people have a bag or a long coat over the rear light - it's worth letting them know, as they don't always realise.

I told a fella that his coat was covering his rear light just a few weeks back. I dont think he clicked that I was talking to him as didnt acknowledge me as I rode past.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I told a fella that his coat was covering his rear light just a few weeks back. I dont think he clicked that I was talking to him as didnt acknowledge me as I rode past.

You do what you can.

I let 'em know - what they do with that information is up to them, I suppose.

Jezston

Über Member
Riding with a friend one night, up a hill (wide urban road), my mate came alongside and pushed me with a hand on my back, for a laugh. Car comes past, giving it that on the horn for riding two abreast.

At the next lights, just a few yards away, the car is stopped, and my friend catches up alongside the drivers door and knocks on the window. Cue the fixed stare ahead ignoring him. My friend said "You haven't got your lights on!". Cue driver fumbling to put lights on, embarrassed, trying to say thanks, and ignore him at the same time...

:thumbsup:

JDP

Andiamo
I get to Shirley road, approach the lights where the cashier till shop is, a car comes around the corner and as I pass him he's got NO lights on. I shout "PUT YOUR LIGHTS ON!!" and wave at his bonnet. No mistaking, and I see him fumble to find the switch. :ohmy: :wacko:

Don't normally do this, and I do see a few black ninja's on my commute but did yesterday....

Riding though the cathedral grounds in Norwwich (which are quite dark) and a lady pulled out across my path.
Dark clothing, no lights (although had decided to wear a helmet....:blush:) I saw her in time (due to my lights) but as I shot pasted I did utter "LIGHTS" as loudly as possible. She annoyed me far more than the normal bad drivers that I get on the way home.
:angry:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
She annoyed me far more than the normal bad drivers that I get on the way home.
:angry:

Why?

I've been put at risk by a fellow cyclist once- (he ran a red light, obviously figuring that if he couldn't hear an engine, it must be safe to go, and damned near t-boned me). I have to admit I felt rather like that, despite the fact that drivers take chances with my life a few times every week.

For me, I think it came down to a sort of feeling of betrayal, that I expect it from motorists, but not from my two wheeled fellows. Did you give the difference in your reaction any thought?

Brommie77

It might just be where I live, but the posties (the few remaining on bikes) never seem to have either lights or helmets on. (although they do protect their handlebars well). They also don't appreciate being told to turn them on when its dark.

They must be immune....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It might just be where I live, but the posties (the few remaining on bikes) never seem to have either lights or helmets on. (although they do protect their handlebars well). They also don't appreciate being told to turn them on when its dark.

They must be immune....

The ones I see on Crewe Rd. (I assume heading back to the delivery office) seem to be lit. Most out where I am now have those ridiculous little trolleys, sadly.

Brommie77

The ones I see on Crewe Rd. (I assume heading back to the delivery office) seem to be lit. Most out where I am now have those ridiculous little trolleys, sadly.

On Macon Way they are a real pain, proper ninja's - but as you say the majority are now pushing trolleys - IN THE ROAD with back to traffic - maybe they are having a private protest ?!?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
On Macon Way they are a real pain, proper ninja's - but as you say the majority are now pushing trolleys - IN THE ROAD with back to traffic - maybe they are having a private protest ?!?

Well, a lot of the time down there, even a laden postie is going quicker than the traffic, particularly up the Earle St. end!

suecsi

The coat over the lights thing is really easy to do on a stop/start commute. Initially I wore my standard black trench coat, but with a hi vis vest over it, for my short Brompton commute. I have to stop at several sets of lights/roundabouts and when I lifted up a little to push away, the coat would drop over the back of the saddle and thus over the lights, which are mounted high so as not to impede the fold.

I have a standard Altura yellow waterproof jacket now instead, but still have to watch out for my skirt - I much prefer cycling in a skirt than trousers.

JDP

Andiamo
Why?

I've been put at risk by a fellow cyclist once- (he ran a red light, obviously figuring that if he couldn't hear an engine, it must be safe to go, and damned near t-boned me). I have to admit I felt rather like that, despite the fact that drivers take chances with my life a few times every week.

For me, I think it came down to a sort of feeling of betrayal, that I expect it from motorists, but not from my two wheeled fellows. Did you give the difference in your reaction any thought?

I did think about it on the way home and I think it was betrayal. Not really a logical response as there is no reason that she should 'think like me' just because she rides a bike. I guess it's a case of, you are probably subject to the same commuting problems as me, why make them worse but not using lights.

Top Bottom