Temperature makes a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
The past couple of weeks the weather here has been mostly sunny and hot with temps in the mid to high 30's. Coming home at night after a hard day can be a struggle, particularly the almost 2Km of climbing I have to do before getting home. Today many thunder storms and lots of rain during the working day but going home the rain has stopped but the temps were still lower. Did the trip in about 3 minutes less than last night. Nice feeling!!!!!!

cupoftea

Yeah I find in the constant rain that I'm a lot quicker than the hot sun last year

Andy 71

Hairy Jock said:
If it gets over 20°c here people start to pass out...;)

Surely you mean 20 fahrenheit??

Answer me this - if it's so effin cold North of the border, why do Scots I know sometimes refer to each other as 'sweaties'?? Or are they just a few wee neeps short of a tatty?

yenrod

My heart bleeds for you Keith mate !

Must be sooo hard in that heat - anyhow I thought thats normal in Vietnam ?

Keith Oates said:
The past couple of weeks the weather here has been mostly sunny and hot with temps in the mid to high 30's. Coming home at night after a hard day can be a struggle, particularly the almost 2Km of climbing I have to do before getting home. Today many thunder storms and lots of rain during the working day but going home the rain has stopped but the temps were still lower. Did the trip in about 3 minutes less than last night. Nice feeling!!!!!!

Alcdrew

Probably, the extra speed can just be put down to you were scared of the rain starting up again and didn't want to get wet so you pedelled faster.

skwerl

Andy 71 said:
Surely you mean 20 fahrenheit??

Answer me this - if it's so effin cold North of the border, why do Scots I know sometimes refer to each other as 'sweaties'?? Or are they just a few wee neeps short of a tatty?

probably to do with the fact that it's rhyming slang. Sweatie Sock = Jock

gbb

Legendary Member
Different people, different result...
I love the heat, hotter it is, the faster i go.
Stupid really, i'm late 40s and still push myself hard and go just as hard if its really hot.
Did my fastest 34 mile route last year when the heatwave was at its peak...32 degrees. I had two frozen bottles of drink on the bike....they were warm ;) within 5 or 10 miles :ohmy:

bonj2

yenrod said:
My heart bleeds for you Keith mate !

Must be sooo hard in that heat - anyhow I thought thats normal in Vietnam ?

Keith Oates is in vietnam? They've got the internet in vietnam then?! Not long since that war is it?

Peyote

bonj said:
They've got the internet in vietnam then?! Not long since that war is it?

Quite a while Bonj, I think it finished in the mid '70's so thirty odd years to put in place the necessary technological infrastructure. I doubt many people in Britain had Interweb access much longer than 10 years ago. It's also in East Asia where most of this technology seems to be produced anyway!

Tetedelacourse

I was wondering about this the other day. When there is low air pressure ie when it's raining, as opposed to high air pressure, shouldn't this make you go faster through the air?

Peyote

Tetedelacourse said:
I was wondering about this the other day. When there is low air pressure ie when it's raining, as opposed to high air pressure, shouldn't this make you go faster through the air?

Are you thinking of the relative differences in air/wind resistance between low and high pressure weather systems? I guess there must be some advantage, not sure if it would be noticeable though.

As an after thought, if it's raining wouldn't the rain create additional reistance thus outweighing the benfits of the low air pressure? Also wouldn't relative humidity levels (before precipitation actually occured) have an impact on resistance? 'Course this is all assuming no wind too!

This seems more complicated than I originally thought!

Tetedelacourse

Aye that's what I was thinking.

Hoy went to Bolivia to try and break the 1KM record didn't he cos it was the highest track in the world and that meant low air pressure and less wind resistance? - a question more than a fact!

I reckon if we can identify precisely the pefect conditions to minimise air resistance, we could force Keith O to take on the 1km record and smash it to smithereens ha ha ha!

Top Bottom