Temple Light Tourer build project, winter 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The frame and fork arrived today!

I've given it a close inspection and it appears to be perfect. Communication has been good and the packaging was excellent. It was noticeable that almost no plastic was used.

I Inow have lots of little jobs to do while I wait for my son to complete his respray of his Carrera ebike in the garage.

Green spoke nipples are on their way which will bring up the silver wheels a bit.

View attachment 711159

View attachment 711160

Lovely. I want.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had a lightly used Spa triple crankset in my box of bits. 48/38/28.

20231026_133331.jpg

With a clean up and a new outer ring it's ready to go on this build ( once I've worked out what length BB it needs).

20231026_135633.jpg

The black outer ring gets added to the pile of parts to be sold.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Progress, decisions and delays.

Delay. My bottom bracket tool has gone missing, so I spent hours clearing out the garage looking for it. Loads of stuff to the local cycle charity and loads to the tip, but bb tool not found so a new one is on order. A new stem is on its way from China.

Decisions. Brooks Saddle is on for now; it's heavy but comfortable. I found an unused 8speed chain and Acera derailleur so they are going on and the 8speed cassette remains. I bought a Carradice Zipped roll. The saddle and bag may be replaced by lighter alternatives later in the interest of saving weight.

20231112_103714.jpg

This may end up looking like any other Temple so I'm playing with ideas to make it more distinctive. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Finally making progress again.

Brooks and Carradice bag off - too heavy.
Chainset on - also pretty hefty and may be replaced by a single chainset later.

This currently weighs 10.4kg which is lots lighter than my round town bike and my tourer (14-15kg each).

Bar tape and gear cables tomorrow, and a play with a different stem..

20231119_153458.jpg

20231119_153442.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you have to change the saddle height or is it and the bars set? Seems massively upright

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Long? Do you mean high?
Sorry, I'm not criticising, just that seems a very upright riding set up.

I mean high.

One of this week's jobs is to get the bars at a height my old body can be comfortable with. I'll get the gears functioning then try different stems.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
A couple of happy hours playing with stems this morning brought me to the conclusion that none of the six I have will give me the position I need.

I've ordered a new Nitto stem that will do the job, and introduce another week's delay before I can finish the build.

Rides up and down the street have reassured me that going for a small frame was the right decision, and that this bike will ride nicely when it has functioning gear shifters.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
This project is complete. Not finished, none of my builds are ever finished.

Lots of faffing with stems, a last minute change of brake cables, replacing braided fake Jagwire with real compression less Jagwire.

It needs a couple of links out of the chain and it will be ready for some less slow days out.

20231202_144718.jpg

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've now had a couple of rides on this bike and am delighted with it.

The ride quality is excellent - there's nothing like a slim steel fork for a comfortable ride. I'm glad I went for a 52cm frame rather than my usual 54cm one - that has allowed me to have a longer stem. The bar end shifters also suit me well.

Two things didn't work well. The original braided brake cable outers resulted in very spongy braking; replacing them with jagwire compression less outers have transformed stopping. The light, but uncomfortable to me, Madison saddle has been replaced by my Brooks B17. Now I can forget my bum!

The total cost of this build was just over £600, even though I used quite a lot of parts I had lying around. I'm happy with that.

Alternatives would have been to buy and rebuild an old bike, or to start with a Spa Audax frame - that's probably my next build!

Last edited:
Top Bottom