Temporary one handed bike after hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit

Shoot me down but just because you have right of way doesn't mean you don't have to plan ahead. Clearly the car was driven by someone who takes chances but I don't see yourself doing any favours. In fact if you frame by frame the video it actually looks like you hit him after losing control on the wet surface.

Glad it wasn't more serious but lose the thought of a camera protecting you. They're good for youtube riots and possibly some police encouragement but maybe not so much else.
It is difficult to tell from the video but having watched the slow motion high definition version (the camera records in 1920 x 1080 30fps) it shows that I stopped/almost stopped, and I fell pretty much level with these drain covers here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sesugh7zZeZpDQPQsK8JATw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I had taken primary when I saw the van coming through. Traffic kept on driving through after the accident if that gives an idea of space (or that drivers see an accident as a PITA rather than anything worth caring about).

The issue was that the driver not only came through, but although through inattention remained on the wrong side of the road, swerving after the collision. Also remember it is a fish eye lens so it appears I am moving much faster than "real life" - from edge of frame to the chicane is about 55 metres.

You can say should have gone slower, should have done this, but realistically if someone forces their way through a chicane and still hits you when you are stationary some way short, you can only do so much. I think 99% of drivers brake rather than accelerate when going towards a head on collision.

Otherwise it would get stupid - you could avoid all failure to give way accidents by getting off and pushing your bike through every junction. But to make reasonable progress, you have to rely on people not being doorknobs from time to time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom