Temporary wi-fi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

Oh, so much to learn! I did not know this. My package has minimal data allowance so your suggestion would probaly not be viable, but a bit of knowledge that may well be useful in the future.

Thank you.
Hi @HertzvanRental.

Can you buy a data top up with your service provider, as a one off to allow use the phone? Some networks do offer that option. But as @classic33 says, worth checking the network coverage of the cottage, in case you get a stronger signal with another service provider.

Happy surfing.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Many posters have, quite rightly, mentioned Mobile Signal Coverage. If you are going to go the MiFi route, and, if it is only for "occasional" use, this is a reason (IMHO) to buy an unlocked device. This means you can use a SIM from any mobile provider, whereas, if you buy a "locked" device, although it will be cheaper at the point of purchase, you are then tied to that provider (unless you get the device unlocked).

SIM cards in the UK are readily available, sometime free, sometimes for (say) a pound. It is therefore feasible to have selection of PAYG SIM cards from a number of providers, and use which ever will give you a signal, in your given location. Similarly, if you travel to other countries, and free mobile roaming is not available, you can simply acquire a "local" SIM, put that in the device, and you have internet.

The WiFi dongles are easy to use, they are, essentially, a mobile phone without a screen, they simple connect you to the Mobile Data Network (3G or 4G, as available).

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
What a load of hassle for a few days away on holiday! How on earth did we ever survive without the Interweb :wacko:
I take your point! I have been asking more questions than is probably necessary not because I cannot live without an internet connection, but more to fill the obviously large gaps in my knowledge !

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
What a load of hassle for a few days away on holiday! How on earth did we ever survive without the Interweb :wacko:

Yes, I agree, we typically go for 2 - 3 months at a stretch, in a motorhome, so, having Internet connection is more relevant, allowing mobile banking, Email, not to mention contact with CC!

But, as always, each to their own.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
Many posters have, quite rightly, mentioned Mobile Signal Coverage. If you are going to go the MiFi route, and, if it is only for "occasional" use, this is a reason (IMHO) to buy an unlocked device. This means you can use a SIM from any mobile provider, whereas, if you buy a "locked" device, although it will be cheaper at the point of purchase, you are then tied to that provider (unless you get the device unlocked).

SIM cards in the UK are readily available, sometime free, sometimes for (say) a pound. It is therefore feasible to have selection of PAYG SIM cards from a number of providers, and use which ever will give you a signal, in your given location. Similarly, if you travel to other countries, and free mobile roaming is not available, you can simply acquire a "local" SIM, put that in the device, and you have internet.

The WiFi dongles are easy to use, they are, essentially, a mobile phone without a screen, they simple connect you to the Mobile Data Network (3G or 4G, as available).
More knowledge ! Thank you.

That really depends on the mobile signal. Weak signal and that battery will lose power faster than an elephant riding up a steep hill.
Um, but an iPhone has to cope with that and drive a big screen and power hungry apps. I'd expect battery life to be at least as long as the tablet or laptop you are using it with.

Of course, it's not really the point here. The cottage doesn't have wifi, but it does have electricity.

Oh, so much to learn! I did not know this. My package has minimal data allowance so your suggestion would probaly not be viable, but a bit of knowledge that may well be useful in the future.
Can you buy a data top up with your service provider, as a one off to allow use the phone?

Who are you with? O2, for instance has Bolt-ons, though £10 for 1GB is expensive, I imagine you could add one of the monthly ones, then remove it again when you come back.

mustang1

Guru
First question for me is if the cottage has WiFi and if they do, I look elsewhere. :smile: Else t
First question we (well, me really) is ask if the cottage has wifi, if it doesn't, we find somewhere else.
He family will be glued to their respective i-devices.

Top Bottom