Ten houses into two can go.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems to be happening around where we live too. A lot of the older properties are quite large with extensive land/gardens (land was quite cheap around here at one time), and more and more older houses are being demolished and in most cases replaced with many 'Housing Units' (not much space between them though, and the gardens are either non-existent or very small - they all seem to have a parking space or two though). That's beside the new build that's going on apace on any bit of land that's not quite big enough to be called a field.

gavintc

Guru
I can never really understand the (mostly English) view that comfortable living demands living on the ground floor and perhaps with a staircase to one floor up. The rest of Europe and much of Scotland sees no particular problem in living in flats or apartments. Land use in this island is important and gaining more through higher density living would allow more green land for leisure.

Plax

Guru
I hate new builds. They have no character. I went to look at one - it was like a glorified box. Plus the noise from the other houses is horrid. My Nain lives in a fairly new bungalow, you can hear next door fart.

As for flats, I'm sure you can get some lovely flats, but I don't like them. My bf lives in a flat. It's noisy. Like living in student accomodation all over again. My best friends mum lives in a flat, the person in the flat below her must be deaf - I was there once and you could hear Coronation Street coming from the flat below as clear as day.

I like my stone built pre-1900's house with a nice garden and walls over a foot thick. Sure you have to cut the grass and can't put a picture up or half the lime plaster will fall off the wall, but at least it has character and is a lot quieter.

gavintc

Guru
Yep, my 1860's flat is certainly better than most built today. But, crap build does not need to be the only option. I never hear the neighbours unless they are having a serious party.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tharg2007 said:
no please don't, we like the space. (plus we dont need any more southern muppets up here thanks, no offence btw) ;)

Southern muppets:angry: What is it with you northern monkeys that makes you think you are superior?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another point about new builds - because the windows are so small and the houses are so carefully proportioned around the windows they look bigger than they actually are. When you go inside you realise there's no room for wardrobes or swinging a decent sized cat.

Edit: Oh, and they don't have chimneys either. No ventilation = damp and smells.

I live in a new build (2001) house and I have to say I am very impressed with the soundproofing. There is a lady with a young girl next door and we never hear a peep from them. It's lucky for them, as we have two very noisy kids!

I also think our newbuild has some character. It is a little different. I'd post pictures, but these days it is best that the exact place of my residence is kept confidential! ;):smile:

Rigid Raider said:
Another point about new builds - because the windows are so small and the houses are so carefully proportioned around the windows they look bigger than they actually are. When you go inside you realise there's no room for wardrobes or swinging a decent sized cat.

That's another thing our house has a huge window in the lounge which I love (almost ceiling to floor), so sometimes new builds can be done right..... apart from the rotting wood framed windows that we are getting repaired....;)

U

User482

Rigid Raider said:

Edit: Oh, and they don't have chimneys either. No ventilation = damp and smells.

Oh yes, you can be sure that there'll be 17 en-suite bathrooms, yet nowhere to hang your coat. I'll stick to my '30s semi.

Top Bottom