Ten Mile Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Whats a respectable time for ten miles?

I cant always go on lengthy rides but have a nice two mile loop nearby that is good for a bit of exercise. I want to start timing 10 miles rides around the loop.

Age 39 , a stone overweight , otherwise fit(ish) regular 50 mile rider and commuter, what do think is a reasonable time??

Ta

wafflycat

Whatever is a reasonable time *for you* is a reasonable time. Depends on your fitness, type of course, weather on the day...

Tetedelacourse

And what you're riding.

Assuming road bike, I would think a wild stab in the dark going by what you've said, 30 mins could be achievable, if not on your first go then soon. I say this cos I've been contemplating it and you've described my profile fairly accurately! You're a bit older but a bit lighter too!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think aiming for 30 minutes as your goal is a good one. Don't expect to hit 30minutes immediately though. Also make sure your course is balanced between with / against the prevailing wind, otherwise you could either end up overly optimistic or dispirited about your abilities!

Keith Oates

Janner
If you make 30 mins your target then it will give you a good training point to aim for, if you crack it fist time then you'll need to move to another target!!!!!!!!

RedBike

Whats a respectable time for ten miles?
30 mins is a respectable time. If there are any delays (like junctions/hills) then you probably wont achieve this sort of time.

26mins is very quick; but possible considering how much your riding. Although it will take quite a bit of work and a good bike.

sub 24mins is 25+mph av. Most riders only achieve this with a lot of training and aerodynamic equipment.

OP
OP
S

starseven

Just done it , for the benefit of anyone else considering the 10 miles as a step to a club ride heres how it went.

Preperation was a Chiken Tikka and a cup of tea, bike was a basic Allez, route was a two mile loop on a residential road no cars parked on the road only one junction and on this occasion it was quiet and the ride unhindered.
Weather was still to a slight breeze but quite hot and dry.

I set a target of maintaining a 20mph average, I managed this for two circuits but as I approached 5 miles it was getting too much for me. To keep that pace I had to get out of the seat on an incline or against the wind and I just didnt have it in me after 6 miles. that incidentally is my commute distance.
I settled to around 18.5 mph average after this and felt much more comfortable.

As Im sat hear enjoying the endorphin rush:biggrin: I feel very please with my time of 32.23 minutes as a first outing.;)

I know it would put me firmly at the back of a club run. But on a personal level it hurt (a lot) and is a good time for me to improve on.

Next time I will wear an Ipod, take a drink and beat 30 minute. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

domtyler

Über Member
I don't think there are many clubs where you would not be able to keep up. How did you time yourself, I bet in a timed TT you would come in under 30 going from what you have said here.

What is your position like on the bike?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think you should just join a club, starseven... I did, and it improved my technique, my confidence and my strength. But you need to find a nice club, not one of these miserable ones where they drop newbies and let them find their own way home.

OP
OP
S

starseven

I used a gps to measure time/distance.

Coming up to 8 miles I realised I hadnt used the drops at all!! Since the headwind at on one part of the circuit gave me my slowest speed this probably cost a bit of time. That one goes to down to experience.

Overall Im just pleased to have completed the distance, to be honest I nearly stopped at 6 miles, it was the thought of posting a non finish pushed me on.;)

I do feel more confident of joining a club now and if I can do it, I imagine most people could.

Thanks again

PS I met several other cyclist but couldnt have raised a greeting if my live depended on it!!!

OP
OP
S

starseven

Flying_Monkey;37811][quote name= said:
PS I met several other cyclist but couldnt have raised a greeting if my live depended on it!!!

You ignorant cretin! :biggrin: Now you know why roadies never raise a smile! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes but................... eeerm no I ll leave it there!!!!!!:biggrin:

Just for fun, why don't we have a time trial over the weekend?
We go hell for leather on a 10-mile stretch and post our times on here!
Oviously we have to be honest (we're only cheating ourselves) with the times. As for doping, well I'll restrict myself to a double espresso before, and possibly a swig of water during.

OP
OP
S

starseven

I'm in.

Nike do a similar thing for running, I usually manage to come last in them too!!!

Shall we say this weekend ,10 miles, post condition summary, and time.

Top Bottom