Ten Mile Time

Hi

Whats a respectable time for ten miles?

I cant always go on lengthy rides but have a nice two mile loop nearby that is good for a bit of exercise. I want to start timing 10 miles rides around the loop.

Age 39 , a stone overweight , otherwise fit(ish) regular 50 mile rider and commuter, what do think is a reasonable time??

Ta

wafflycat

Whatever is a reasonable time *for you* is a reasonable time. Depends on your fitness, type of course, weather on the day...

Tetedelacourse

And what you're riding.

Assuming road bike, I would think a wild stab in the dark going by what you've said, 30 mins could be achievable, if not on your first go then soon. I say this cos I've been contemplating it and you've described my profile fairly accurately! You're a bit older but a bit lighter too!

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
I think aiming for 30 minutes as your goal is a good one. Don't expect to hit 30minutes immediately though. Also make sure your course is balanced between with / against the prevailing wind, otherwise you could either end up overly optimistic or dispirited about your abilities!

RedBike

Whats a respectable time for ten miles?
30 mins is a respectable time. If there are any delays (like junctions/hills) then you probably wont achieve this sort of time.

26mins is very quick; but possible considering how much your riding. Although it will take quite a bit of work and a good bike.

sub 24mins is 25+mph av. Most riders only achieve this with a lot of training and aerodynamic equipment.

OP
S

starseven

Just done it , for the benefit of anyone else considering the 10 miles as a step to a club ride heres how it went.

Preperation was a Chiken Tikka and a cup of tea, bike was a basic Allez, route was a two mile loop on a residential road no cars parked on the road only one junction and on this occasion it was quiet and the ride unhindered.
Weather was still to a slight breeze but quite hot and dry.

I set a target of maintaining a 20mph average, I managed this for two circuits but as I approached 5 miles it was getting too much for me. To keep that pace I had to get out of the seat on an incline or against the wind and I just didnt have it in me after 6 miles. that incidentally is my commute distance.
I settled to around 18.5 mph average after this and felt much more comfortable.

As Im sat hear enjoying the endorphin rush:biggrin: I feel very please with my time of 32.23 minutes as a first outing.;)

I know it would put me firmly at the back of a club run. But on a personal level it hurt (a lot) and is a good time for me to improve on.

Next time I will wear an Ipod, take a drink and beat 30 minute. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

domtyler

Über Member
I don't think there are many clubs where you would not be able to keep up. How did you time yourself, I bet in a timed TT you would come in under 30 going from what you have said here.

What is your position like on the bike?

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
I think you should just join a club, starseven... I did, and it improved my technique, my confidence and my strength. But you need to find a nice club, not one of these miserable ones where they drop newbies and let them find their own way home.

OP
S

starseven

I used a gps to measure time/distance.

Coming up to 8 miles I realised I hadnt used the drops at all!! Since the headwind at on one part of the circuit gave me my slowest speed this probably cost a bit of time. That one goes to down to experience.

Overall Im just pleased to have completed the distance, to be honest I nearly stopped at 6 miles, it was the thought of posting a non finish pushed me on.;)

I do feel more confident of joining a club now and if I can do it, I imagine most people could.

Thanks again

PS I met several other cyclist but couldnt have raised a greeting if my live depended on it!!!

OP
S

starseven

Flying_Monkey;37811][quote name= said:
PS I met several other cyclist but couldnt have raised a greeting if my live depended on it!!!
You ignorant cretin! :biggrin: Now you know why roadies never raise a smile! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes but................... eeerm no I ll leave it there!!!!!!:biggrin:

Dayvo

Just passin' through
Just for fun, why don't we have a time trial over the weekend?
We go hell for leather on a 10-mile stretch and post our times on here!
Oviously we have to be honest (we're only cheating ourselves) with the times. As for doping, well I'll restrict myself to a double espresso before, and possibly a swig of water during.

OP
S

starseven

I'm in.

Nike do a similar thing for running, I usually manage to come last in them too!!!

Shall we say this weekend ,10 miles, post condition summary, and time.

Top Bottom