Ten reasons NOT to have a dog.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
1. The effort of house training them from 'new'
2. The embarrassment of them humping anything with a leg
3. Having to clean up its waste (shudder)
4. Having to take it out in all weathers and at times inconvenient to you
5. The cost of feeding it
6. No chance of impromptu weekends/last minute holidays away due to having to find a kennel or tolerant friend to look after poochy
7. Vet's fees
8. It might be a barker
9. Its farts
10. Even if all of the above could be tolerated, one day, it will die and point ten is the main reason I won't have a dog.

Last week, my sister's dog died. While they're young, they're fun and cute and then you have a friend and loyal companion. Then they age quicker than you and as much as you love them, they become a hinderance. But if they don't live to be old, I couldn't tolerate that. My sister's dog was the friendliest, funniest, cutest dog I've ever known and he was a total pleasure to be around but he didn't see old. He was only four and he contracted a cancer that's not unknown in that breed (a Scotty) and despite several very expensive courses of chemotherapy, he was eventually in so much pain, they had to have him put to sleep. He wasn't my dog but I fill up when I think about him and I've had so many dogs in my younger days, this is the reason I won't have one now.

Sounds like an old girlfriend of mine!

Sara_H

Guru
Oh dear.

I grew up with a dog a westie that my parents bought when I was 3 and died when I was 21. I can't imagine growing up without her. She came everywhere with us, so no touble finding dogsitters etc.
Of course hearts were broken when she died, but the amount of joy she brought in her lifetime is immeasurable.

I now have a Labrador, he's not quite as portable as a westie, but my Mum lives locally and has him for me when neceserry. I suspect my 9 yr old son is as attatched to him as I was to my dog, he can be a right pain but we love hm sooooooooo much!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Apart from numbers 2 and 7, you could use the same points about not having a baby (obviously changing 6's kennel to a cot, and 8's barker to a constant crier).
Yeah, but they're not going to age faster than you, you've increased the potential pool of organs should you need one and while you'll have to look after an old dog, the baby you had will one day have to look after you! You'd be mad not to.

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is were I come in, I do pet/house sitting, one pet £10 a day plus expensive's
Sounds like a rip off to me! ;)

Top Bottom