Tent, Caravan or Hotel?

• Tent

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Caravan

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Hotel

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I will camp and caravan at a push, but I much prefer a hotel with a swimming pool and a jacuzzi. There's nothing quite like going out on a cross-country expedition and returning to a plush hotel where you can rinse the bikes off, lock them up safely and then relax in a jacuzzi while being hand-fed grapes by a small, grey monkey.
cool.gif

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We are a camping family ... I like the fact you can take off if you have nothing on and see the weather is good ... although so far it has always been by car. Mr Summerdays is resisting the call of cycle camping though I am determined to break through this year....

Hotels are nice for a day or two but I prefer self catering on the whole. The advantage of camping is the open air and letting your children off the leash. Somehow they are much freer especially if you arrange a group camp so that they are with friends so that they can play with them and eat in a group even if you each cater for your families faddy eatters.

The downsides of camping? - well for me - I don't sleep as well and there is the getting ready beforehand and clearing away afterwards.

If you want to try it why not just buy one of those pop up tents ... not a huge investment and the minimum that you can get away with and just plan one night away and aim to eat out. Campsites can vary from the ones with only have the bare mimimum (which for us has to have a loo!!!), to all singing and dancing providing on site entertainment ... they are usually too noisy for us. You don't have to be a member to use the big Camping and Caravan ones and they are usually quiet and have lovely bathroom facilities. Or there are some campsites that have camping pods ... made out of wood - presumably with a more proper bed in them. Why not ask her to give it a go but if it tips down with rain ...or the forecast is for it to bucket get out before the rain puts her off.

Some campsites even have WIFI ... to keep you happy ... or is it that you want to get away from us :whistle: :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I like interesting hotels, inns and B&Bs (not chains), especially ones with great food. However, I love camping on my own. My wife isn't a fan of camping, not least because she has an allergic reaction to many biting insects.

Caravans, on the other hand, are the work of the devil. They are the worst of both worlds. It is like towing a crappy hotel room along with you and you inconvenience everyone else on the road. I'd rather sleep outside, or have a proper room.

Night Train

Maker of Things
As much as I love hotels I can't stand B&Bs that don't have a decent ensuite.

I once drove 5 hours in pouring rain with a leaking Land Rover roof pouring water down my neck to stop at a B&B where I had to queue up to check if the cup outside the one bathroom was upside down or right way up!

It was nearly as bad (or perhaps worse) when I stayed at CAT in Wales for my MSc course. I took to using the shower immediately after evening dinner to beat the rush for the trickle of tepid water in an unlit room.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd camp happily enough, but I'm not averse to some luxury - although I'd probably be most comfortable in a middling sort of hotel - too posh and I'd be afraid of making the place dirty....

Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in was here:

http://villeprouve.pagesperso-orange.fr/bb/fr/accueil.htm

Sumptuous rooms in Medieval style, in a 14th century house, but with probably the most welcoming and friendly hosts we've ever had in France (or anywhere!). We arrived, sodden, having ridden all day in the rain, and Madame didn't bat an eyelid as she showed us, dripping to our rooms, which we proceeded to decorate with damp clothes. And when our leader caved in to Englishness and said "Madame, s'il vous plait, du the?" she bustled away and 15 minutes later we were dried off, and sitting down to a proper pot of tea and homemade biscuits in the lounge.

Dinner was a set menu, simple but all home grown (including the chicken), culminating in a heavenly apple tart, and flaming glasses of the local apple spirit. At breakfast the next morning, there were 8 sorts of jam on the table. 8!

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
caravan, of the "static/caravan park" type. i love a week away in a caravan, although a good B&B is perfect for a weekend away.

i dont do camp :angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've only done camping as a family for the last two years - just one long weekend each year so far with friends. We've done it with two Decathlon pop-up 3 man tents and a Decathlon 'Base' tent (all pack up and down really quickly). The kits have had a whale of a time as they were with school friends, and the parents were able to sit around drinking in the evening.

We regularly stay in a caravan - a static owned by my in-laws, but it's hardly 'roughing it' as it had double glazing and gas central heating (radiators).....

For the kids, look for some of those 'long weekend' deals you can get with Haven - they also have good entertainment if you have kids under about 12.

gbb

Legendary Member
The trouble is, the more you get (quality) the more you want and the less you're likely to step backwards.
We're just trying to sort out the summer hols...bugger its a nightmare, extra costs over last year (aviation fuel i assume), and we're reluctantly now looking to go 3 star.
Ironic because we started with camping hols with our kids. Progressed to a camper trailer, then caravanning, self catering hols abroard, then half board, and last year did all inclusive.
This year, we'll be lucky to do 3star for reasonable money (there's a cost ceiling we tend to put on holidays..i'm not going to throw money at it)

So yes, we like our comforts. But from a womans perspective i can understand the desire NOT to do camping etc. My wife works full time, cooks, does the housework etc (i do help BTW :biggrin: ). Its not too much to expect to have a break and a bit of luxury for two weeks of the year...be it camping or self catering abroard, no shopping, no cooking and clearing up, and i dont blame her.

subaqua

What’s the point
The trouble is, the more you get (quality) the more you want and the less you're likely to step backwards.

So yes, we like our comforts. But from a womans perspective i can understand the desire NOT to do camping etc. My wife works full time, cooks, does the housework etc (i do help BTW :biggrin: ). Its not too much to expect to have a break and a bit of luxury for two weeks of the year...be it camping or self catering abroard, no shopping, no cooking and clearing up, and i dont blame her.

we used to do Hotels , then went into a Villa, then moved to static vans , then went into a tent. the money we have saved on Hotel goes on days out for the kids etc ( Ok perhaps not that much ;) )

the cost of a few nights in a hotel covers the 2 weeks pitching fees

we don't Rough it. electric pitch and the laptop can get a TV signal or we can watch a fillum in the evening, if we havent all crashed out early due t the surfing/cycling bodyboarding busy days out

as for the cleaning etc, it takes a few minutes a day. washing up would need to be done if you were in static van or Self catering and the bonus is no hoovering required .

each to their own though.

gbb

Legendary Member
we used to do Hotels , then went into a Villa, then moved to static vans , then went into a tent. the money we have saved on Hotel goes on days out for the kids etc ( Ok perhaps not that much ;) )

the cost of a few nights in a hotel covers the 2 weeks pitching fees

we don't Rough it. electric pitch and the laptop can get a TV signal or we can watch a fillum in the evening, if we havent all crashed out early due t the surfing/cycling bodyboarding busy days out

as for the cleaning etc, it takes a few minutes a day. washing up would need to be done if you were in static van or Self catering and the bonus is no hoovering required .

each to their own though.
The irony is, each phase you went through...you loved. Nowt wrong with camping...i guess i've just spoiled myself. Plus the wife didnt work then. I don't envy a womans life sometimes. I do my bit...but is it ever enough. I really like to think the wife gets more out of a holiday than i do. If keeping home was left entirely to me...it likely wouldnt get done (that well). I'm not that unusual am i ????:tongue: :biggrin: :sad:

subaqua

What’s the point
nothing ironic. TBH i wasn't happy in hotels, have always loved camping . never did it as a kid , but when i bought my first tent at 18 and pitched up with just the very basics i was hooked.

the kids love it so much we bought a £15 pop up tent they play in in the front room .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we go static caravan rather than dragging one behind us , also like hotels , cant wait till me and other half can go tenting by ourselves , spent 1 night in tent last summer with daughter for her first tenting experiance it was an experiance that every dad should enjoy

subaqua

What’s the point
we go static caravan rather than dragging one behind us , also like hotels , cant wait till me and other half can go tenting by ourselves , spent 1 night in tent last summer with daughter for her first tenting experiance it was an experiance that every dad should enjoy

+1

Top Bottom